A Fusion Fic
can result in some pretty strange combinations of universes. Something like Falling Stars, however, takes this Up to Eleven On Drugs
Taking the characters from Lucky Star
and dumping them into the world of Fallout 3
, Falling Stars
(written by Tastychainsaws
) pretty much throws a twist into your usual crossover fan fic. Konata becomes the Lone Wanderer, and Kagami and Tsukasa end up as her (initially) unwilling sidekicks. The results are not
It has been given a sequel (which is unfinished, and not written by the original author), which can be found here.
Yet another sequel, also not by the original author, made to bridge the gap between the original story and the other sequel, can be found here.
The author has also written a story on Minami and Kuroi's early years in the Enclave titled "Sigma"
Not to be confused with the Battletech/My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic crossover with the same name.
This Fan Fic provides examples of:
- After the End: Obviously.
- All There in the Manual: The author often tries to explain certain elements of Fallout 3 after every chapter for those unfamiliar with the game itself. He does it less later on.
- All Just a Dream: Played with during the events in the Dunwich building. Poor Kagami...
- Anti-Hero: Kagami builds up lots of evil karma as well as having to deal with drug addiction later on. She arguably becomes something of a Villain Protagonist near the end.
- Anyone Can Die: Kinda comes with the Fallout Universe, where everybody can be killed. Tastychainsaws even had the guts to kill some of them off during the epilogue. Now that's a low blow.
- Bad Ass: By the end Konata, Kagami and even Tsukasa definitely count.
- Berserk Button: Konata manages to push several of Kagami's buttons...leading to Kagami giving Konata a What the Hell, Hero? speech.
- Boom, Headshot: A Deathclaw loses his head.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Konata does this a few times.
- Break the Cutie: To the point where you may think Mohiro Kitoh wrote this. Then again, what did you expect to happen when you take characters who come close to being Trope Codifiers of Moe and dump them in a radioactive wasteland filled with mutant creatures?
- Colonel Badass: Colonel Kuroi, in place of Colonel Autumn. Later she promotes herself to General.
- Dark Fic: To some extent.
- Decoy Protagonist: Konata may be following in the footsteps of the Lone Wanderer at first, but make no mistake, this is Kagami's story.
- Deep-Immersion Gaming: Word of God implies that the whole story is derived from the Lucky Star characters doing playthrough(s) of Fallout 3, with some joking towards them moving onto Dragon Age: Origins. Then again the actual series does this sometimes.
- Driven to Suicide: Ayano, after hearing about Misao's death. She managed to take down the entire saloon made out of metal in the process.
- It turns out that it was a subversion. The epilogue reveals that Ayano died in a freak gas explosion, and not suicide
- Egopolis: Miyuki takes over the Republic of Dave after her mother (who beats Dave in the election) dies of the Modified FEV.
- Go Out with a Smile: Misao
- Gorn: It is not rated M due to Lemon.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope, Kagami, near the end after she believed Konata was dead.
- Justified Trope: The author attempts to justify certain gameplay elements, such as VATS being a shot of adrenaline from the Pip-Boy or how Stimpacks work.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: Done when the group finds Casey Smith's garage.
- Mythology Gag: Fawkes refuses to join Kagami as a follower due to low karma.
- Also, Konata's mother was The Chosen One of Fallout 2. Likewise, Minami's dad was Jaime, the insane ghoul in the Dunwich Building.
- No Periods, Period: Definitively averted.
- Omnicidal Neutral: Kagami wipes out both the Enclave and the Brotherhood of Steel at the end of Broken Steel. She also uses the Modified FEV on the purifier, which ends up killing a few of the characters in the epilogue.
- Only Sane Man: Lampshaded by Kagami.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Minami, who replaces Vance in the story.
- Parental Abandonment: Every bit as much a plot point here as it was in Fallout 3.
- Retirony: Poor Misao...
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Kagami at the end.
- Shout-Out: Plenty of them (we are dealing with Konata, after all).
- Taking You with Me: Kuroi had a plasma grenade tucked away...
- Title Drop: The titular Falling Stars refer to the Kill Sat at the end of Broken Steel that Kagami uses on both the Enclave and Brotherhood of Steel.
- Took a Level in Badass: Tsukasa, after returning from Point Lookout.
- Wall of Text: Due to issues with the author's word processor, this occurred at the end of Chapter 9, making it nearly unreadable. However, the author fixed this error and made the chapter actually readable.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Done with some word play, as certain characters are referred to as "blunette".