A Sailor Moon Fic done right.Cosmic Warriors
is an ongoing Alternate Universe Fic
of Sailor Moon
created by SomeoftheFame
Cosmic Warriors follows Usagi Tsukino, a clumsy, irresponsible, and ditzy 14 year old whose life changes when she receives a distressed phone call from her friend, Naru Osaka. Usagi rushes to her aid and while attempting to save her friend she is aided by Luna, the strange black cat that's been following her, and transforms into the Cosmic Warrior Moon.
In the opening note for the story, the author expresses the changes that have been made to the story, citing artistic license as the reason for changing: the flow of plot, the villains, transformations, attacks, as well as the order in which the characters we've come to know and love will be introduced.
In the first chapter the author shows talent for writing in the way the story opens and gives readers a taste of familiarity with some classic run-ins and mannerisms of the cast. But of course, we're not here to re-read Sailor Moon. The author kicks off the series of changes with a new breed of monsters called Experiments, former heroes of mythology who've been reincarnated to work for the Dark Kingdom. Coupled with that, rather than have our heroine fighting with a tiara in a one-piece, a skirt, and heels, Usagi transforms into a lance wielding warrior in a Zero Suit Samus inspired LatexSpaceSuit
. Luna and Artemis also seem to have bigger roles, the two felines are a part of a secret organization made up of previous guardians from the Moon Kingdom, called the Silver Guard.
Cosmic Warriors has examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: The Warriors, Ilargi, Nikkal, Losna, and Luna.
- Adaptation Inspiration: The first attack of the story happens to Naru in OSA-P, but the author changes the encounter up, flips it around, and makes it original.
- Adaptational Badass: Tuxedo Mask has shaped up to be a far cry from his anime self. His entrances are realistic and his speeches short and far from cheesy.
- Adult Fear: Megumi kidnaps (presumably) and murders males (children and men), leaving their bodies behind in the freezer where she works or hanging them above a tub filled with their blood and body parts.
- All Myths Are True: As mentioned in the intro heroes/villains of mythology are reincarnated to fight for the Dark Kingdom.
- Aloof Ally: Tuxedo Mask.
- The Silver Guard and Protectors play this part as well before their official introduction in "Silver Guard" before receiving an official introduction to the former, the Guard is only mentioned and seen as a fleet of black cars that come to clean up Warrior Moon's messes.
- Animate Dead: The second kind of enemy in the story are enemies revived from the dead, see in intro and All Myths Are True. Exta also can do this, see Necromancer.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Experiment-D-U-D's red lance, Gae Dearg, can pierce or fly through any defence according to legend.
- Author Appeal: It's easy to tell the author is a fan of FateZero.
- An Axe to Grind: Sweet, timid, and diminutive Losna swings her axe like a lumberjack.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: The Protectors (even though Artemis and Luna haven't been scene in their uniforms).
- Balloon Belly: Several customers in Stack Attack have this.
- Bearer of Bad News: Saeko Mizuno when she reveals Naru's rape. Luna occasionally.
- Blood Bath: Well... Megumi DID have a bathtub filled with blood, above which dangled the bodies of dead children.
- Blood from the Mouth: Experiment-D-U-D after being double-teamed by Mask and Moon. Jadeite, see Incurable Cough of Death below.
- Breather Episode: A few chapters, 4, 6, 9, and 14 so far, they're far from boring though.
- Calling Your Attacks: The Warrior's call out the names of their stronger attacks, but seem to be able to attack with less powerful attacks or versions without calling out the names.
- The Cavalry Arrives Late: In chapter two, although Naru calls the police before calling Usagi they don't arrive until after the fight is over.
- The Chain of Harm: Inverted during Jadeite and Tuxedo Mask's encounter on the roof in "Rabbit Over The Moon" Jadeite chides Mask for interfering with the hunt for the Silver Crystal he then makes a nearby helicopter to explode.
- Chekhov's Gun: Usagi and Naru find a gem on the ground that Naru keeps. That gem later releases a servant of the Dark Kingdom into Naru's home. After an unseen altercation he then proceeds to rape Naru.
- Child Eater: Megumi.
- Cool Mask: Tuxedo Mask of course! However, Warrior Moon and the rest of the Warriors also get masks that covers their entire face, reminiscent of a Vizard mask.
- Damsel in Distress: Naru, Usagi occasionally.
- Darker and Edgier: Youma attacking, eating, and draining people and children of their blood. An Experiment pops up in a public school after raping one of its students.
- Daylight Horror: Furfur and Megumi had no qualms about eating their co-workers or running wild through the streets and blowing up cars, during the daylight hours.
- Dramatic Wind: Played almost a little too straight in "Crossing The Rubicon". After Usagi has made it clear to Luna she refuses to become a Warrior Luna explains how the Dark Kingdom will ruin her life before killing her.. Just before Luna finishes a gust of wind picks up.
- Dual Wielding: Experiment-D-U-D possesses two lances and two swords, both sets get used. Warrior Venus occasionally.
- Duel to the Death: Experiment-D-U-D and his clones are dropped in a colosseum where they battle until the rebel is killed.
- Early-Bird Cameo: A majority of the main cast has already been introduced within the first 20 chapters. All of the Warrior civilian identities (excluding Hotaru) have been introduced.
- The End of the World as We Know It: Luna tells Usagi this in pretty much verbatim.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: The Moon Princess still needs to be found, just like in the anime.
- Expendable Clone: In the beginning Jadeite has 60 copies of Experiment-D-U-D, and by the third chapter has killed off 17.
- By chapter 10 all of the original twenty Jadeite summoned have been killed.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Experiments seem to die by pieces of their body falling off. Beryl slices up Experiment-D-U-D inside a coffin (ripping flesh by bone). Megumi rips apart her victims, draining their blood and eating their flesh.
- Fantastic Racism: Nikkal tells Jarilo she would preferred to let humans die than come and help them.
Nikkal: The only humans I like are the ones laying dead on my operating table.
- Fetal Position Rebirth: In "The Warrior of Love", Jadeite comes across Experiment D-U-D like this in a tank. Could also be Naked on Revival.
- Flash Forward: Before Usagi transforms for the first time she sees flashes of images in her mind. Judging by the descriptions it's pretty easy to tell she's seeing future villains. Perhaps this is a clue that this fic will cover more than just the Dark Kingdom arc?
- Four Is Death: This is Sailor Moon, the Shitennou of course.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Luna in Skeleton Bells 1, after transforming from her feline form Luna is left to battle Zoisite in the buff. He gives her his jacket, but she proceeds to take on him and Nephrite wearing only that.
- Godiva Hair: Megumi in "Years of Conspiracy".
- Grave Robbing: The Dark Kingdom needs DNA to create Experiments, it's implied this is gathered from their resting places.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Warrior Moon bifurcates Eros.
- Heart Drive: After battling Warrior Moon and Tuxedo Mask (and sustaining extensive wounds) Experiment-D-U-D appears soon after completely healed. However, when his life gem is crushed, he crumbles away into black dust.
- This could have been a different clone of his that appeared healed, it was never mentioned
- Henshin Hero: Although she seems to be able to recall some events from her past, Usagi's powers don't kick in until she's suited up.
- Hero Secret Service: The Silver Guard and the Protectors.
- Hot Guys Are Bastards: Experiment-D-U-D is seen wearing a one-piece bodysuit that as the author puts it "fit him well, exposing each of his muscles and curves of his body." Usagi also fawns over him later to Detective Kalla, but in the end his attack on Naru makes him unforgivable.
- Info Dump: "Evil Sleeps When It's Dead" gave us part of the history of the Moon Kingdom we were expecting, the rest, along with an explanation of Usagi's transformations and attacks, came a few chapters later in "Blonde Ambition 1". The Silver Guard were given a full introduction and explanation in the aptly titled chapters "Silver Guard 1" and "Silver Guard 2".
- Incurable Cough of Death: Jadeite shows signs of some kind of sickness often, usually after exerting energy. It was revealed in chapter 10 he was poisoned during the attack on the Moon Kingdom. Although he should be dead, he was able to survive, but its affected him ever since.
- Kidnapped Scientist: More like scientists. The Dark Kingdom kidnapped a number of the scientists in the years before the story began, they're to blame for Experiments.
- Surprisingly enough Souichi Tomoe was one of them.
- Late for School: Usagi, of course.
- The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday: Stack Attack was described as being a new building. The House of Fortune as well. Pet Shop Perfume wasn't mentioned as being new, but it could be assumed it wasn't there before the Dark Kingdom's plan for it began.
- The Lost Woods:
Loki: I shall trap her. She shall not escape the infamous Myrkvišr, the great black forest of the Norse!
- Master of Illusion: Zoisite, as seen in Skeleton Bells 1.
- Meaningful Name: The Protectors were guardians during the time of the Silver Millennium who all lived on the Moon. It makes sense then that the author named each of the Protectors, excluding the twins and Kalla, directly after a Lunar deity.
- Although Kalla doesn't seem to be named directly after a Lunar deity his name is similar to Kalfu, a Lunar deity of Vodun mythology.
- Dewi's name comes from Dewi Shri and it could be assumed the author swapped the W for an S for Desi, and giving her twin a similar name by swapping the D for a G.
- As with Artemis (a female deity), gender doesn't seem to matter as Dewi Shri is a female, but Cosmic Warrior's Dewi is 100% male.
- Mysterious Note: Minako got one in her locker from Eros.
- Mysterious Protector: Tuxedo Mask, of course.
Jadeite: They had done their part. My Queen with that team, the Sound Siblings, five of them were more useful dead to me than they were alive... With Exta being able to reanimate their corpses and any form of nature nearby, it was the perfect plan.
- New Transfer Student: Ami and Makoto so far, Diarmuid also makes a cameo in Usagi's school, although not claiming to be a student.
- Nothing Is Scarier: When Usagi finds Experiment-D-U-D, that whole mysterious-man-with-a-strange-presence-choking-your-friend-in-the-hall-illuminated-by-blocks-of-moonlight scene accomplishes this.
- Panty Shot: When Luna jumps from a window sill (in Tuxedo Mask style) her school uniform skirt flies up upon landing. Giving Tuxedo Mask and Warrior Moon a glimpse at her underwear. It was enough to make Mask uncomfortable.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Inverted with a full body suit and mask that leaves only lines for the Warriors to see and breathe through. Usagi's signature buns even disappear as a Warrior.
- Picky People Eater: Loki only ate the heart of the man he captured in "Eat, Die, Love".
- Power Glows: Warrior Moon's lance glows white before she uses Moon Blade Slash.
- Warrior Venus follows this for her Shot of Love attacks.
- Rape as Drama: See below
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: After the attack on Naru in "Goodbye, Halcyon", Usagi is left in the dark about what really happens until chapter four when her rape is revealed.
- The Reveal: The revelation of Naru's rape in "Crossing The Rubicon".
- Usagi revealing herself as Warrior Moon to Naru in The Warrior of Storms. We also finally get Experiment-D-U-D's reason behind attacking Naru.
- Rooftop Confrontation: Jadeite and Tuxedo Mask in the first chapter.
- Again in "Savage Love, Dearest Storm" with a full cast including: Warriors Venus and Jupiter, Artemis, Tuxedo Mask, Jadeite, and Bikuta.
- Shout-Out: A few lines are taken from the anime, my favorite being Naru's quip of "Do we care?" when Umino complains about his grade.
- Experiment-D-U-D, Diarmuid, pursued Naru because he thought she was a woman he once loved. This was a reference to The Pursuit of Diarmuid and Grainne in the Fenian Cycle of Celtic Mythology.
- The Warriors wear masks like Lisa Yadomaru of Bleach.
- Super Strength: Tuxedo Mask seems to have this, he was able to snap Baphomet's neck with just a kick.
- Torture Cellar: Megumi has one, equipped with a vest capable of ripping someone's chest open, numerous hooks, chains, and a Judas cradle. Not quite a cellar, but torture definitely happens there.
- Transformation Trinket: Usagi's moon charm bracelet, Minako's earrings, and Makoto's bracelets.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Artemis and Luna.
- Weapon of Choice: Each of the Protectors seems to use their own special kind of weapon. Not to mention the Warrior's weapons as well.
- Wham Episode: Chapter four, the revelation of Naru's rape, gives Usagi not only the need to become a Warrior and the drive to fight, but takes the story down to new darker territory.
- Wound That Will Not Heal: Experiment-D-U-D's golden spear inflicts wounds that won't heal naturally.
- Wreathed in Flames: Blaise gained this effect after Artemis tried to burn him, it was never specified if this was an ability he already had or not.