Recap / Calvin And Hobbes The Series S 1 TVM 1 Calvins Batman Adventure
Calvin forces Hobbes into the Book Transporter, an invention that allows one to travel into literature.
He travels into a 1992 Batman
comic (he refuses to go into a newer one, believing it stopped being good when they changed Robin
) and dresses himself and Hobbes up in Batman's uniform. They have a run-in with some thugs, which they end up defeating. The duo then find out, via a newspaper, that Gotham's crime is rising, and many of you-know-who's enemies are behind it. Calvin then briefly sights Batman, and the duo rush to find him... only to find Two-Face and his thugs.
Hobbes rushes off, so Calvin attempts to take him on when Batman
and Robin themselves burst in! Robin attacks the thugs with ease, much to Calvin's ire. Afterwards, Two-Face escapes, and the dynamic duo rip off the comical duo's cowls, exposing them. Calvin manages to get their attention by revealing his knowledge of their secret identities
. This leads to the dynamic duo eventually relenting and training them.
Unsurprisingly, Calvin screws up magnificently, but the real
test comes when Killer Croc arrives and KO's the dynamic duo. Calvin is left to fend for himself, Hobbes having run off again, and his Plan B
is running away. Fortunately, Hobbes drops down from nowhere and stalls him long enough for Calvin to spray him with "Lizard-Be-Gone".
After being shown the Batcave, Calvin decides to prove his worth to Batman and stop every
criminal on the lose one by one, starting with The Joker
. He finds out the bad guys' location from Two-Face via time travel, and he decides to confront The Riddler first... at the mini-golf course.
He leads them into a trap, which Calvin simply rushes through with the Time Pauser. When he finally confronts him, Calvin stalls before eventually using the Transmogrifier Gun to fuse his hands and feet together
and turning him to the police.
Next, he faces The Joker
, whose minions are easily transmogrified, and he's easily beaten. Next, the two face Clock King, who falls prey to Hobbes. He appears to perform a Heroic Sacrifice
, and Calvin dramatically monologues over his body... before he shows up again with ice cream, revealing the sacrificed one to be Socrates.
After a montage of getting some other villains, Calvin and Hobbes finally leave the comic. Then Calvin gets out a Superman comic...
- Accidental Misnaming/Malicious Misnaming: Calvin calls Alfred "Horus". What significance this has, or whether or not it was intentional on Calvin's part, is unknown.
- Always Someone Better: Robin to Calvin, while the former confronts Two-Face's goons.
- Badass Boast:
"I am Batboy! Defeater of all evil and evil like things. The new form of bat super hero mutant things! The new form of humans who have bat DNA! And you can not possibly..."
- Batman Cold Open: Shortly after getting in their costumes, the duo (fittingly) find themselves in this situation.
- Beardness Protection Program: Mentioned:
- Body Horror: Calvin uses the Transmogrifier Gun to fuse The Riddler's hands and feet together.
- Book Ends/Here We Go Again: The ending.
- Buffy Speak: The Book Transporter eventually gains a paint job and the words "bat-thingy" written on it.
- Cliffhanger: Part 1 ends with Batman himself bursting in.
- Close-Call Haircut: Played With: Calvin's cape gets shredded by Joker's metal card, and the former lampshades it:
- Continuity Nod/Mythology Gag: Hobbes mentions the transmogrifier and the duplicates.
- Crazy-Prepared and Kitchen Sink Included:
Hobbes: He has everything in there except for the Kitchen sink.
Calvin: Actually I have the kitchen sink in the third pocket to the left of the right glove by spike number two in category five in subcategory ten in subsubcategory thirteen in compartment six.
Hobbes: Where's the bathroom sink?
Calvin: I stuffed it in bat ear number one.
- Crossover: With Batman.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!:
Calvin: Well, Laughing Moron, it's just you, me, and that weirdo over there dressed in red and black.
(Calvin spins around)
Calvin: Oh good grief, I forgot about her!
- Then there's this long exchange:
miss!" Batboy insisted.
"Well, maybe it was off by three centimeters, but I still hit the area that I wanted, and Joker's about to strangle you.
"That's no excuse, and don't argue with me! The point is that you missed! And furthermore, what did you just say?"
"I said, Joker's about to choke you to death." Battiger said.
Batboy sighed, with Joker only three feet away.
"First off, Hobbes. He's called Laughing Moron, not Joker. Joker is an extremely stupid name, and doesn't compare to... well, my name for him."
Just then a light came on in his eyes.
"Oh. You said he's going to... OHHHHHHHHH!"
- Something similar happens later with Bane.
- Drop the Hammer: Joker briefly attempts to kill Calvin with one.
- Felony Misdemeanor:
- Food as Bribe: Hobbes only comes in the transporter at the mention of snacks.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: True to form, Calvin and Hobbes have them.
- Hammer Space: Calvin's pockets serve this purpose, which is lampshaded:
Calvin whipped a fan out of his pocket, don't ask me how he fit it in there, and started blowing the gas away.
- Heroic Wannabe: Calvin and Hobbes, moreso the former.
- Hey, That's My Line!: Calvin says this when Robin says "Watch and learn, junior!" to him.
- Innocent Bystander: Invoked somewhat:
- Let's Mock the Monsters: Calvin does this a lot.
- Medium Awareness: See Close-Call Haircut above.
- The Nicknamer: Calvin has an absolutely insane amount of nicknames for Batman, Robin, and their Rogues Gallery. He calls the heroes "Batsy/Bat-brain/Guano-man/Bat-guy" and "The Birdly Wonder/Bird Brain", and as for the villains... just see the quote below.
"It's listing off all of Batman's arch enemies! Look! The Joker
, Harley Quinn, Two Face, Mad Hatter, Penguin, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Killer Croc, Mr Freeze, Ras' Al Gaul, Scarecrow, Bane, Baby Doll, and the Riddler! Or as I like to call them, Laughing Moron, Hardly Quinn
, Ugly Face, Toothy, Sardine Breath, Plant Lady, Mud Brain, Alligator Man, Dr. Refrigerator, Mr Magic, Corncob Man, Inbane
, Toy Moron, and Question Mark Man." note
- And then there's Bane, who gets his name confused way too often. Calvin's nickname for him changes every single sentence, eventually evolving into "1-800-2345-6666".
- Something Person: Many of the above nicknames.
- Noodle Incident and Shout-Out: Apparently this isn't the first time the Book Transporter's been used - Hobbes mentions going into A Series of Unfortunate Events and a Far Side book.
- Only Sane Man: The villains play this role to Calvin, Clock King and the Mad Hatter in particular.
- Parrot Expo What: "Itwasawhat?"
- Portal Book: The Book Transporter invokes this.
- Rogues Gallery: Lampshaded:
Hobbes: Gosh, Batman certainty has quite a collection of unrealistic villains.
Calvin: Yeah I know! Did that Bob Kane guy come up with a great idea, or what?
- Roof Hopping: Lampshaded by Calvin:
- Further lampshaded by Hobbes:
"Your mom's not going to like the idea of you jumping across buildings like this."
- Rummage Fail: Calvin attempts to save Hobbes from Killer Croc, but he ends up in this situation with his utility belt.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In addition to Hobbes, Calvin's Plan B is simply running away.
- Shout-Out: "And let that be a lesson to you, Mr. Supercalafragilisticexpealedoses!"
- Stable Time Loop: Calvin defies this when Hobbes tries to do something that'll start one, telling him the consequences:
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: In-Universe - Calvin thinks Batman stopped being good when Robin's identity was changed.
- Time for Plan B: Calvin's is simply running.
- His later Plan B is calling for Batman and Robin.
- Toilet Humour: One of Calvin's nicknames for Batman is "Guano-man".
- Villain: Exit, Stage Left!: Two-Face escapes with the help of some device, and Calvin lampshades it:
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Hobbes says this when Calvin decides to use the Time Pauser.
- Calvin also says this when Bane easily escapes his trap.
- Your Mom: "And I bet your mother tells time through a sundial!"
- "And I'll bet your mother wears A RED outfit with A YELLOW HAT! So there!"
- "And I bet your mother did STOP MOTION ANIMATION!"