Fan Fic / Black & White
Black And White
is a Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
fanfic co-authored by McPoodle, Roxor
The prologue covers Nimnul seemingly screwing up an experiment and ending up in the mental hospital, with the Rangers taking off with some of his equipment. Part 1 takes place six months later and involves Tammy starting her own investigation when the Rangers start acting strangely, eventually leading back to Nimnul's earlier experiment, which turned out to involve alternate universes and which now seems to be more successful than the Rangers previously thought. Part 2 looks in on what actually happened to Nimnul, from the perspective of Francine, an alternate universe counterpart of Winifred the witch. Part 3 deals with Tammy's counterpart Caroline and her efforts to stop Nimnul after being contacted by Tammy.
Roxor and McPoodle also wrote an official side-story titled Black And White: The Switch
, which covers three days near the end of Part 3 of the main story in significant detail and with a different writing style (due to a change in the primary author). The authors expect you to have read Black And White first and give ample spoiler warning just in case. It's also unusually long for a side-story, clocking in at 19,522 words, compared to the main story's 126,130, despite covering a much shorter period of time.
Black And White can be found on The Acorn Cafe here
, and here
(Prologue and Parts 1, 2, and 3, respectively) and on McPoodle's Fanfiction.net account in its entirety here
The Switch can be found on The Acorn Cafe here
and on Roxor's Fanfiction.net account here
Has absolutely nothing to do with the Peter Molyneaux game
Tropes used in Black And White:
- All There in the Manual: McPoodle provides an extensive list of references at the end of the story.
- Alternate Universe: Three of them, one only explored in detail in the side-story.
- Anti-Hero: Laurel. Being nice is not one of her strong points, but she does manage a decent job of safeguarding the future.
- Anti-Villain: Francine may have sided with Nimnul, but she realises when he's gone too far.
- Apocalypse How: Across three universes, four points are nailed.
- Earth-1 averted future: Class 2
- Earth-A averted future: Class 4
- Earth-C past: Class 3
- Earth-C averted future: Class 1
- A World Half Full: Earth-C. Improvements to this world are something for the grandchildren.
- Mysterious Informant: Sparky-C in the side-story.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: The goal of the time-travellers in each universe.
- Shout-Out: Many, documented in the references list at the end.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Black and White as a whole leans towards Idealism, although the three worlds vary considerably.
- Earth-1: Lies squarely in Idealistic territory for the whole story.
- Earth-A: Overall, a somewhat Cynical world, although it does get a little more Idealistic in the final chapters of the story.
- Earth-C: Lies firmly in Cynical territory and looks like itís going to stay there for the foreseeable future. The local Rescue Rangers are just doing what they can to keep order, and even then they can only do it for half of the day.
- Tempting Fate: Nimnul at the end of Part 2.
- Time Travel: A subplot of the main story, expanded on in the side-story.