A Far Green Country
, by SilasWhitfield, is a fan story about Elden, a man from Rohan, and his friend Nellas, the last elf of Rivendell. A hint places this story about ten years after The Lord of the Rings
Elden is a fugitive. He rides a stolen horse, holds a stolen sword, and carries a stolen ring, a magic ring
. Elden flees very far north, all the way to Rivendell, where he encounters Nellas. Elden survived by the magic of his ring, and Nellas has magic of her own. The two begin an adventure, taking their magic with them, and visiting several places of Middle-earth.Read it here.
The story was not complete.
A Far Green Country provides examples of:
- Conveniently an Orphan: Both main characters!
- Elden's mother died by giving birth to Elden, and Elden's father died in one of King Éomer's wars.
- Nellas was still a child when orcs killed her parents.
- Damsel in Distress: At one point in the story, villains capture the whole party of Elden, Nellas, Surad and Durus. They attempt to escape. Surad and Durus free themselves, then free Elden. Nellas uses her own magic to destroy her bonds.
- Distressed Dude: Elden was a prisoner in Edoras, Rohan, but he escaped.
- Long-Lost Relative: When Elden meets Mrs. Bones, Elden determines that Mrs. Bones is really Elden's sister Beorna.
- Loveable Rogue: Elden is a deserter and a thief. Also, Durus and Surad are thieves. The story presents all three characters as protagonists: Elden is the victim of the Lord Regent's tyranny, and Durus and Surad become his allies.
- Pointy Ears: Nellas covers her ears, trying to pass as a mortal woman. Some other characters see through the disguise and know that Nellas must be an elf.
- Plot Coupon: Elden's ring. It often does something to move the plot forward.
- Ring of Power: Elden's magic ring is a major mystery. Fans of The Lord of the Rings, recalling the fate of the twenty Great Rings, may wonder how any magic ring can retain its power. In Book I, Chapter 2 of The Lord of the Rings, Gandalf had mentioned 'lesser rings' that were 'yet still to my mind dangerous for mortals.' Perhaps Elden's ring is one of those lesser rings. The ring, in its own way, does endanger Elden.
- Sailor Earth: Elden, because he bears a magic ring. There is a second magic ring; Nellas steals it from Mrs. Bones.
- Uncertain Doom: After orcs surrounded and trapped Surad and Durus, and Nellas sealed the escape route, Elden believes that Surad and Durus are dead. It is not impossible that the orcs spared the lives of Surad or Durus.