A Captive Light
is a Digimon fanfic written by Hedgi.
Set during Digimon Adventure 02, Ken plots his revenge for his most recent defeat at the hands of the Digidestined. He realizes that the greatest strength is also a weakness- they are loyal to a fault and would do anything for a friend
. He plots to kidnap one of them to use as a hostage. However, his newest minions, the harpy like Zhannemon, fail and only manage to capture Gatomon. Kari is panic stricken, and they try desperately to find Ken and free the captive digimon, while Ken plots his next move. The group follows false trails and is attacked by the Zhannemon, who bear no dark rings but are instead infected with the evil black gears used by Devimon in the past. Emotions run high as the kids try to rescue their friend, and the younger Digidestined learn about the older kid's past- for Kari is convinced that history is repeating and something terrible is coming. And it is - for Ken's plan to rid the Digital world of the other Digidestined comes to a head when he strikes out again - and memories of the past return to haunt Kari and her friends.
Part of a series called History Repeats
Has a sequel called A Fading Hope
, which has a companion, No Knowledge of What Comes
This Fanfiction provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Averted! While they never show up in the story proper, Izzy’s parents agree to give the kids an alibi for the time spent looking in the Digiworld. Jim also helps the kids out.
- All According to Plan: Toyed with. Ken has a plan, it gets screwed up by his minions but ends up working. Later, T.K’s plan. It takes longer than he thinks, and only kinda works.
- Arc Words: “It’s happening Again.” and “I Promised.” (That “It” wouldn’t happen “Again.”)
- Beware the Nice Ones: When Kari snaps, Angewomon shows up and starts vaporizing things. She nearly kills Ken!
- Big Brother Instinct: Tai and Matt, big time. Matt lays the smackdown on Ken after T.K is attacked, and earlier Tai charges Ken, despite the fact that he is “ 13 feet above the ground, riding an 8-ton monster.”
- Big "NO!": Multiple times.
- Badass Adorable: Despite her Heroic BSOD, Gatomon kicks some butt during the battle.
- Bad Dreams: Tai gets these after Kari is kidnapped. In the universe, it’s implied that Gatomon had them in the past, and Kari as well.
- Chekhov's Gun: Kari’s fake crest, The Zhannemon feather she picked up.
- Cliff Hanger: Used by the author frequently. She thinks it’s funny to torment the readers.
- Crazy-Prepared: Joe. He even has a stretcher hidden in the classroom the kids use.
- Disney Death: T.K. Although it was more of “I thought you were dead”
- Everybody Lives: A series of cliffhangers and an author’s note make it seem unlikely.
- Evil Gloating: Averted.
- Evil Overlord List: Ken brings it up.
- Flash Back
- Feather Flechettes
- From Bad to Worse: Gatomon’s been kidnapped! and then Kari... and then T.K. dies. ish
- Have You Come to Gloat??: Kari to Ken. To her confusion, he hasn’t.
- Heroic Sacrifice: T.K for Kari. ( also mentions Wizardmon’s)
- Heroic BSOD: Kari! Also Gatomon.
- History Repeats: Kari is determined not to let “It” happen again ( ‘It’ referring to when Myotismon captured first Gatomon, then her, and upon trying to kill her, watching a friend die in a Heroic Sacrifice.) despite everything, it does
- Hostage Situation.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: Kari for the Digivices.
- I Always Wanted to Say That: Tai. Davis complains that he didn't get to say what he always wanted to say.
- I Have Your Wife: Twice- once to Kari as I have your cat, the second time to the rest of the DD, I have your Kari.
- I Will Find You: Kari to Gatomon, then Tai to Kari.
- It's All My Fault: Kari, in spades.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: The Digidestined tend to split up while searching, mostly to cover more ground of because of various leads.
- Literal Cliffhanger: Cody, Tai has to rescue him and let Ken escape.
- Little "No": Mostly Kari.
- Meaningful Echo: “ I Promise.”
- Meaningful Name: Kari gains the middle name Mitsumi, which also means Light.
- Never Say "Die": Averted.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: Emphasis on Again, not used in a lighthearted manner at all. Kari and Gatomon.
- Only Mostly Dead
- Pietà Plagiarism
- Red Herring: They try to find Gatomon searching for her signal, but it comes to nothing. Later the third missing 11 year old leads the adults to think that Kari’s been kidnapped, yes, she was, but they start looking for connections that aren’t there.
- Rousing Speech: Mimi to her Army.
- Say My Name: frequently.
- She Will Come for Me: Or rather, They will. Kari to Ken, and the basis for Ken’s whole plan.
- Shout-Out: To Tamora Pierce’s Stormwings. Also to A Little Princess, and Chasing Vermeer.
- Something Only They Would Say: Tai uses this to prove Kari’s Kari.
- Stop or I Will Shoot!: More or less, replace “ Shoot” with “ sic my digimon slaves on everyone.”
- Survivor Guilt: Kari. Twice.
- Taking the Bullet
- Tearful Smile.
- The Promise: Oh, so much.
- Trust Password: Ken assumes the DD would have one. They don’t.
- True Companions: It’s a digimon story, what do you expect?
- Villains Never Lie: Ken keeps his end of the deal.
- What Happened to the Mouse??: Where was Wormmon during the battle?
- You Said You Would Let Them Go: Kari to Ken. He does uphold his end of the deal, though, and lets Gatomon go.
A Fading Hope provides examples of:
- Bad Dreams: T.K has several, getting worse as the story goes on.
- Big "NO!": Kari to Devimon.
- Catapult Nightmare: T.K in the first chapter.
- Chekhov's Gun: Kari’s fake crest, Matt’s coat.
- Chosen One: “the Small One.”
- Darker and Edgier: The tone is darker, and while there are still many light hearted moments, the story is considerably darker than A Captive Light.
- Darkest Hour: the gang’s captured, Matt and Cody are dying, Kari’s dead, and TK loses hope. If that’s not a Darkest Hour, what is?
- Dead Sidekick: Mentioned. Even though he Got Better, Patamon. It gives T.K. nightmares.
- Despair Event Horizon: just after the Darkest Hour. Rather chilling.
- Despair Gambit: Devimon's plan. Unlike many examples of this trope, it actually works Until T.K. is reminded that two of his friends might still have a chance if he fights.
- Disney Death: Kari. Kari, Kari, Kari.
- Flashback Nightmare: of a sort.
- Everybody Lives: revealed at the very end, after several chapters of uncertainty.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Kari for T.K.
- Heroic BSOD: Oh, T.K.....
- History Repeats: Devimon’s claim that the Smallest would defeat him, moving to kill T.K, the Heroic Sacrifice of a friend being all that saves his butt.
- Hope Spot: Kari’s the Chosen one! They can still win.. or...not. later, TK gets one when he realizes that Tai and the others are alive, thinking Kari might be with them. Nope.
- It's All My Fault: T.K. He snaps out of it.
- It's Probably Nothing: T.K to Patamon about his dreams
- Let's Split Up, Gang.
- Little "No": often. several in the Dream alone
- Mood Whiplash: in chapter two, it goes from happily hanging out to an attack of black gears. On the flip side, the Dream starts off very, very dark and whiplashes to a very nice dream in second
- Never Say "Die": toyed with, mostly averted.
- Nightmare Sequence: the first half of the Dream.
- Only One: The Small One is the only one who CAN defeat Devimon - the prophecy does not say that he WILL, however. This is pointed out.
- Open-Minded Parent: To some extent, T.K.’s. Also, Izzy’s, extremely so.( This is mainly in the extra found on Hedgi’s blog.)
- Say My Name: also frequently
- Screw Destiny
- Shout-Out: to Serenity.
- The Reveal Kari's the Small One, not T.K....except that no, actually it was T.K.
- Un Chosen One: What T.K thinks he is after Kari is killed. Turns out he was the Chosen one after all.
- Wham Line: “Since File Island was back...Devimon might be, too...”; “He’s dying”