Drinking game for Yu-Gi-Oh!
For all series in the franchise:
- Take a sip every time someone says the word "card". Do this only if someone's nearby to call 911 for you.
- Take a shot every time an opponent's "lockdown" could be stopped with a card like Dust Tornado or Smashing Ground. Guzzle if the player you're rooting for actually has a card that can stop it in their deck.
- Take a drink whenever someone takes a children's card game... ahem, Duel Monsters too seriously. It is recommended this rule be disregarded during 5Ds, as alcohol poisoning can occur within the first episode.
- Take a small sip of non-alcoholic beer every time someone reveals the effect of a face-up card to surprise someone else. Don't push yourself, you'll need a new liver anyway.
- Take a sip every time the plot stops so that the power of the card can be explained.
- Take a sip every time someone says "OH NO!" but only if you're not particularly fond of your liver.
- Take a glass for every time a main character summons their signature monster during a duel. Take two glasses for every duel where a main character's signature monster DOESN'T play a role. Chug if a main character's signature monster does get used, but it's by somebody else.
- Take a drink every time violence is clearly and poorly cut out in the dub. Finish your drink if they DON'T remove it.
- Take a shot for every Never Say "Die" moment in the English version of any of the Yu-Gi-Oh! shows. (WARNING: Doing this while watching the original series' Battle City arc or the 5Ds Dark Signer arc will result in exploding livers.)
- Drink half a bottle any time card games being Serious Business gets subverted. The early adventures in the manga do not count. (Don't worry; since these moments are so few and far apart, your liver won't explode. We hope.)
- Take a drink every time someone is going to bet everything 'on this one card!' right before drawing it.
- Take a drink when a protagonist wins a duel with less than 500 Life Points. Take two when they win with exactly 100 Life Points. Take three when they win with LESS than 100 Life Points left (Warning: GX is particularly fond of this one). Drink half a bottle if they win with Life Points that aren't a multiple of 100.
- Finish the bottle if a protagonist loses (but only a shot if it's Yuma).
- Take a drink whenever a duelist uses a card that has never been seen before, used by them before or has never been seen in that anime, to win a duel. Down the bottle if the card is never seen again.
- Take a sip whenever someone loses their soul. For the purposes of keeping people alive during this drinking game, the souls in the Doma arc in Duel Monsters and Dark Signers arc in 5D's should count only as one for each time it occurs, rather than one-per-soul.
- Take a sip every time there is Ho Yay. Take three gulps for every instance of Les Yay.
- Whenever someone explains the effect of Pot of Greed, you are allowed to take two shots from your deck, er, drink.
- Take one shot whenever any effect is activated which lets you draw two cards other than Pot of Greed. (Trust us. That is a lot.)
- Take a shot every time a villain's gloating is interrupted.
- Take a shot any time someone says "Not so fast!" or a variation thereof.
- Take a shot whenever a character summons, sets, or activates a card the moment he or she draws it.
- Finish your drink every time the English dub averts Never Say "Die".
- Take a shot every time someone draws or sets a card in the most dramatic fashion possible.
- Take a drink whenever Screw the Rules, I Have Plot! is in full effect. (Warning; it's not recommended to do this with the second series anime, especially the Duelist Kingdom arc, unless you really hate your liver.)
For the manga
- Take a very small sip every time the characters play games other than Duel Monsters. Good luck.
- Take a sip every time someone says the word "game". Do this only if someone's nearby to call 911 for you.
- Take a small sip every time a game is a Absurdly High-Stakes Game. Be careful. Take a shot every time a character actually dies from Penalty Games. Not required if the victim's fate is ambiguous.
- Take a shot every time someone says they will never forgive someone. Two if its someone other than Dark Yugi. Three if it's the second time the character has said it to the same person. Finish your drink when they end up forgiving that person anyway.
- Take a drink every time they mention getting a burger in early chapters!
- Take a shot whenever Jonouchi or Honda beat someone up.
- Take a sip for every scene Ryou Bakura appears where he is removed in the anime. Take another sip every time he or his alter-ego mentions Tabletop Roleplaying Games.
- Take a small sip every time someone rolls a Super Critical during the Monster World RPG. Take a shot every time they roll a fumble.
- Take a drink every time a card's effects are different from the anime or the real card game. Be careful during the early arcs and Duelist Kingdom.
- DDD arc only: Take a drink every time Otogi's dad talks about getting revenge on Yugi's grandfather.
- Millennium World only: Take a drink every time Bakura tells someone to die.
- Take a small sip every time a plot point presented in any of the anime adaptations makes more sense in the manga.
For the Season 0 anime
- Take a shot every time a game's risk is toned down from the manga.
For the second series anime
- Take a sip each time someone doesn't notice that Yugi is taller than before.
- Take a sip every time someone mentions friendship. Chug if it's someone other than Anzu/Tea.
- Take a shot every time someone mentions the heart of the cards. Two if it's not Yugi/Yami.
- Take a drink any time when Mokuba gets kidnapped. Down it if he's wearing girls' clothes.
- Take a drink any time Otogi/Duke accuses Yugi of cheating when he beat Pegasus and/or if he boasts that Yugi would have to retire if he wins. The more annoyed you are by what Duke says, the more you drink. You will be hammered pretty quickly.
- Drink every time you see Jonouchi/Joey in a dog suit getting humiliated by Otogi/Duke's cheerleaders.
- Take a drink any time that Marik says/thinks "Those fools" and proceeds to repeat his plan once again.
- Once Yami Marik makes his appearance, take a shot each time he laughs. Also, say goodbye to your liver. You can also do the same with Yami Bakura.
- Take half a glass any time Kaiba does an Evil Laugh. (Any more than that will rupture your liver or your bladder.)
- Take a shot every time Pegasus calls a character "(name)-boy" or anything similar. For the Japanese version, take a shot every time he says "desu."
- Dub-only, take a shot whenever Joey's confidence or Kaiba's ego gets in the way of their judgment.
- Take a shot every time Yami says "The fate of the world depends on it."
- When watching the Japanese version, take a sip whenever Shizuka says 'onii-chan' or Mokuba says 'nii-sama'. Tread very carefully during Battle City.
- Take a drink every time someone uses an anime-only card. (If this is done post-Virtual World, have 911 on speed dial. With the recent strides Konami has been taking to release anime cards (especially the DOMA cards), this has been made slightly less risky. Just slightly.)
- Take a drink every time Yugi draws exactly the card he needs for his strategy to work. Actually, don't; you'll die.
- Take a shot every time a flashback shows previous events from the show. Two shots if it's a flashback you've already seen. After Yugi's first duel with Raphael, prepare to have your liver destroyed for the rest of the Doma arc.
- During the Doma arc, take a drink every time someone's afraid to lose while the Seal of Orichalcos isn't actually in play.
- For the Japanese version, take a sip whenever Yami says 'aibou'. Guzzle if he shouts it.
- One shot whenever Seto Kaiba gets angry and doesn't listen to anyone. Be careful, though, you don't want any ill effects.
- When someone starts to become redundant while explaining something about a card's effect/the plot (Dub only), take a sip.
- Also Dub-only, take a sip each time the Shadow Realm is mentioned.
- Every time someone says the word "destiny", take a sip.
- Here are some more phrases you could play the drinking game with while watching the show.
- Take a shot every time Yugi transforms into Yami, and another when Yami transforms back.
- Take two shots every time Yugi duels as himself and not Yami.
- Take a shot every time Pegasus sips his wine. Don't drink if he has the wine but doesn't drink it.
For Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime
For Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's anime
- Take a shot every time that someone says the word "kizuna" (bonds). Two if it's not Yusei.
- Alternatively, in the later arcs, take a shot whenever anyone says the word "kibou" (hope).
- Or take a shot every time someone says "zetsubou", despair. Two if it isn't Aporia. Say goodbye to your liver.
- Take a drink and run into the nearest wall every time someone's motorcycle crashes because of a duel. Avoiding the WRGP arc is advised.
- Watch the dubbed version of Yusei and Kiryu/Kalin's duel in episodes 33-35, then take a drink for each time Kalin says something about "sending [Yusei] to the Netherworld!" or the "power of the shadows". Better line up a liver transplant in advance.
- Take a drink every time Yusei says "Is that so?" right before turning a duel around.
- In the Japanese version, take a drink every time Kiryu says either "Satisfy" or "Satisfaction".
- Also, take a sip every time someone says "RIDING DUEL, ACCELERATION". Warning: the chances of surviving this is very slim.
- Take a sip for every time a Synchro Chant is said. Take two if it isn't a member of Team 5Ds.
- Finish your drink if the monster summoned conveniently does not have a summon chant.
- Alternatively, finish the drink if they alter it from the previous time it was said. (We're looking at YOU, Turbo Warrior.)
- Take one glass every time a Riding Duel takes place outside a proper arena.
- Take two more if the place is conveniently unoccupied. Mix your cup with Vodka if no persons are seen during the duel, aside from people on motorcycles.
- Take a drink every time Jack says something about being a King. (Definitely not advised during the Fortune Cup.)
- To raise the stakes, take a drink anytime the word "King" and Jack Atlas are involved in the same character's dialogue. Your liver has no chance to survive make its time.
- Take a drink for every speed pun in the English dub.
- Finish the bottle if Masaaki Endoh starts singing.
For Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal anime
- Take a shot every time Yuma says "kattobingu".
- Take two shots if someone else says it, or a variant on it "such as Cathy's "Cattobingu".
- Take a shot whenever Yuma wins a duel with Aspiring Emperor Hope. Hope you enjoyed your liver while you could.
- Also take a shot if Yuma wins with its variants (Hope Ray, Hope Ray V, Hope Ray Victory, and Hope Roots).
- Down an entire bottle of liquor if he wins with anything else. By now, there's no point trying to salvage your liver.
- Take a shot whenever IV brings up Fanservice.
- In episodes 47 through 49, take a sip every time III does something to cross the Moral Event Horizon even further.
- Take a shot whenever Yuma duels against an opponent who DOESN'T have a numbers card. Take two if Astral and/or Yuma thinks that do, but they don't.
- Take a shot whenever Shark tells Yuma not to get involved with him anymore.
- Take a shot whenever Say My Name is invoked. Two if it isn't Kaito screaming "HARUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!", Yuma screaming "ASTRAAAAAAAAAAAAL!", Kotori screaming "YUMAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" or Shark screaming "RIOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
- Take a shot whenever Kaito summmons Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon using Photon Thrasher and Photon Crusher. Take two if he doesn't.
- If you are feeling suicidal take a shot everytime Astral tells Yuma what to do in a duel.
- If you're feeling really suicidal, take a shot whenever Yuma mentions "feeling the flow" (dub only).
- Take a drink every time a Number is displayed on screen. (Not the one on the monster.)
- Just because of episode 62, we're going to scale it up to taking two if it's not Hope, Shark Drake or their Chaos Xyz counterparts.
- Take a shot each time Tron mentions something about his revenge. (You'll be dead long before you get to the finals of the WDC.)
- Take a small sip every time dark aura can be seen around someone possessed by a Number or Barian's Force.
- Take a drink anytime Yuma's Life Points drop below 1000.
- Take a shot whenever someone Xyz Summons during their first turn. Take two if they don't.
- Take a shot whenever someone wins using a very situational card for a very unlikely situation. Nice knowing you.
- Take a drink every time someone ends up in the hospital. Two if it ISN'T Shark or Rio.
- Take a shot every time Vector does his Creepy Laugh.
- Watch episodes 92 and 93 and take a shot each time Tobio and Umimi Habara say "Honey" or "Darling" (respectively).
- Take a shot each time a monster is used as Xyz Material and can count as 2 Materials for the summon.
- During ZEXAL II, take a drink whenever a monster is Rank-Up'd. Eliphas will kill you very hard.
- Take a shot each time Kurage mentions the superiority of jellyfish over...everything else.
- Take a drink every time someone dies in ZEXAL II.
For Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V anime
- Take a shot every time Yuya puts his goggles over his eyes.
- Down your drink every time Sora does something to seem even more suspicious.
- For every Pendulum Summon take a sip, and take two for each Xyz Summon, three for every Fusion Summon, and down your bottle for every Synchro Summon. Yaiba Todo will kill you.
- Take a shot if a card other than Yuya's Magicians of Astromancy and Chronomancy is ever played in a Pendulum zone.
- Take a shot whenever Gongenzaka says "I, the man Gongenzaka...(etc.)"
- If you're feeling really suicidal, take a shot every time Futoshi does his "Shivers!" Catch Phrase.
- If you're feeling even more suicidal, take a shot every time someone shouts (in Gratuitous English) "Ladies and Gentlemen!"
- Take a really huge gulp if a non-Action Duel starts up.
- Take a sip every time an Action Card is activated. Two if it isn't "Avoid" or "Miracle".
- Take a shot every time someone says "calculations" (keisan).
- Take a shot when Kurosaki starts a monologue about his past.
- Take a shot when Yuzu's fan appears. Two if she somehow doesn't end up swinging it at people.
- When someone activates Polymerization, take one sip for each person that reacts with surprise.
- After episode 37, take a shot every time Yuya has a flashback of Yuto telling him to bring smiles to people through dueling.
- Take a shot every time a character is mistaken for someone else, or someone gets a characters name wrong.
- For each character turned into a card, take a drink.
For Card Game aficionados
- Take a shot if the player is playing against a cookie-cutter deck.
- Take one if playing against a "broken" deck in the current meta - a Wind-Up, Inzector, Dino Rabbit, or Chaos Dragon deck.
- Take three drinks if a player activates a Forbidden Card.
- Take two drinks for Limited Cards.
- Take one for Semi-Limited Cards.
- Take a drink whenever someone loses or gains Life Points.
- Liver-poisoning Edition: Take a drink whenever someone does a Special Summon. Trust us, with the card's current metagame, be prepared to take a lot of shots.
- Take a drink whenever a monster's effects are negated. (Doing this while watching Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL is not advised.)
- Take a drink per monster Tributed, Fused, Synched, or Xyzed.
- Take a drink if a TCG-exclusive card is Summoned/Activated.
- Take a drink if someone draws a card outside of their draw phase.
- Include the draw phase if you wish to kill your liver.
- Take a big gulp—preferably from a rocks glass—if a player successfully performed a One Turn Kill on their opponent.
- Take a shot any time three copies of the same card exist on the field. Tokens are exempt from this.
- Now for some deck-specific games:
- Playing Nekroz, take a shot every time you search from your deck.
- Playing Gusto, take a shot every time your opponent attacks a face-down floater.
- Playing Inzektor or Dragunity, take a shot every time a equipped monster leaves the Equip spell position (either by going to graveyard or by being summoned to the field).
- Playing Noble Knight, take a shot every time a Equip Spell is re-equipped by its own effect.
- Playing Qliphort, take a shot every time your opponent surrenders because you summoned Apoqliphort Towers.
- Playing Gladiator Beast, take a shot every time you tag-out (i.e. switch your on-field GB with another on your deck).
- Playing Gravekeepers, take a shot for every card your opponent can't play thanks to Necrovalley.
- You can do the same thing with any deck that runs Skill Drain or Vanity's Emptiness.
- Playing Counter Fairies, take a shot every time your opponent goes Oh, Crap thanks to a Van'Dalgyon summon.
- Playing ANY Dark deck, take a shot when you summon Dark Armed Dragon. Two if your opponent kicks it out of the field immediately.
- Playing Monarchs, take a shot for every Caius or Raiza you summon. (Their Mega forms can count also)
- Playing Synchron, take a shot every time you summon Shooting Quasar Dragon.
- Playing Hieratics, Blue-Eyes, Dark Magician or Red-Eyes decks, take a shot for every game you lose because you drew a high-level Normal Monster on the worst moment possible.
- Playing Burning Abyss, take a frustration shot for every time you can't summmon any new monsters to win the game thanks to a previous non-BA summon.
- Take a shot every time you summon Dante. Yes, even from the graveyard. Good luck surviving.
- Playing pure Genex, take a long shot just for trying to play a pure Genex deck.
- Drink, like, thousands of shots if you get around all the incoherent and inconsistent cards that the deck has and actually WIN a game playing a pure Genex deck.
- Take a drink every time you encounter a Qilphort deck on an online Yu-Gi-Oh game or dueling simulator like Dueling Network or Yi-Gi-Oh PRO. Take two if it's clear the person using it has no idea what they're doing. *