"Samuel L. Jackson has appeared in every movie ever made, including all those to be made in the future. If you're working on a funny little home movie with your buddies, Samuel L. Jackson will show up at some point onscreen. If you accidentally leave your camcorder on, he'll end up in front of it. And in homes all over the world, young couples are staring in confusion at their nannycam as Samuel L. Jackson shows up to berate the babysitter."Samuel Leroy Jackson
(born 1948) is one of the top leading men and supporting actors in Hollywood today. If you see a Badass Scary Black Man
with No Indoor Voice
in one of your favorite films, chances are good that this guy's playing him (and will likely give you a few lines to remember for ages).
Not to be confused with Laurence Fishburne
. According to both actors' IMDB entries, this happens frequently, in both directions.
And, for God's sake, don't try to portmanteau his first name and middle initial together, creating "Samuelle Jackson." It never ends well. Though "Mr. Jackson
" is entirely appropriate.
For those who still believe that being a nerd and being a badass are two unrelated concepts, he's a big fan of anime, videogames, manga and comic books
. He is known to collect action figures that depict characters that he has portrayed, including Jules Winnfield
, Mace Windu
, and Frozone
. Oh, and Nick Fury
As one might guess, he is a living Fountain of Memes
Unsurprisingly, he is an element on the Periodic Table of Awesoments◊
- abbreviation Mf
On a lighter note, Jackson is one of those lucky Hollywood few who is Happily Married
: he has been married to LaTanya Richardson, whom he met at Morehouse College, since 1980.Never let him read a children's book. Or sing a Taylor Swift
He also did an anti-gun violence PSA, which can be found here
, and pro-Obama commercial for the 2012 Presidential campaign that can be found here
And now he's available as an announcer
for Heroes of Newerth
in the Samuel L. Jackson announcer pack.
Some of his notable roles:
- He has appeared in several of Quentin Tarantino's films, namely:
- Carl Lee Hailey in A Time to Kill.
- Zeus Carver in Die Hard With A Vengeance.
- Doyle Gipson in Changing Lanes.
- Sergeant West in Basic.
- Mace Windu in the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
- Elijah Price in Unbreakable.
- Russell Franklin in Deep Blue Sea.
- Shaft in the 2000 version of the film.
- Voiced Frozone in the Pixar film The Incredibles.
- Agent Neville Flynn in Snakes on a Plane.
- Elmo McElroy in The 51st State (known in America as Formula Fifty One).
- Stacks Edwards in Goodfellas.
- Nick Fury in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Afro Samurai and his overly chatty sidekick Ninja Ninja.
- Voiced the crooked cop Frank Tenpenny in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Voiced the rich white gangster Gin Rummy in The Boondocks.
- Mr. Olin in 1408.
- Danny Roman in The Negotiator.
- In Do the Right Thing, he played Mister Senor Love Daddy.
- Ray Arnold in Jurassic Park.
- The Long Kiss Goodnight as a detective opposite an amnesiac assassin.
- He expressed interest in playing The Saint of Killers if they ever make a Preacher movie.
- The Octopus in The Spirit.
- Dr. Harry Adams in Sphere.
- A Caveman's Valentine, which proves that the crazier his hair is, the more unstable his character will be.
- Appeared on an ABC special on money management, playing an author of self-help books who lost everything in the economic crash.
- He's also a legendary youth hockey coach.
- Astro Boy as Zog.
- The Red Violin as an appraiser for a collection of violins, including the title instrument.
- An Expy of Don King in The Great White Hype.
- A crooked cop in Lakeview Terrace.
- Fresh as the father of the protagonist and a speed-chess champion.
- A farmer in Black Snake Moan.
- A Cowboy Cop in The Other Guys.
- Augustus Gibbons in xXx.
- In Unthinkable, he plays a rogue interrogation expert of the Abu Ghraib Prison/Guantanamo Bay variety.
- Coach Carter as, well, Coach Carter.
- He narrated an audiobook version of Go the Fuck to Sleep.
- He parodied Danny Glover's role in Lethal Weapon as Sgt. Luger in National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1.
- Sergeant Hondo in SWAT (2003)
- In Spike Lee's upcoming remake of Oldboy, he plays the guy in charge of keeping Josh Brolin captive and under surveillance for 20 years.
- In the audiobook "Inspired By... The Bible Experience", he voiced God in the New Testament.
- Martin Luther King in the play On the Mountaintop.
- Pat Novak in Robo Cop 2014.
- The announcer for Heroes of Newerth
- Whiplash in Western Animation/Turbo.