Maruyama Animation Produce Project Association, or better known simply as MAPPA, is a Japanese studio established in 2011 by former Madhouse staff (including co-founder Masao Mayurama).The objective behind the studio is to achieve greater creative freedom to pursue projects that may be less obviously commercial.
Works by MAPPA
- Sakamichi No Apollon (with Tezuka Productions)
- Hajime no Ippo: Rising (with Madhouse)
- Terror in Resonance
- Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
- GARO: The Animation
- Punch Line
- Ushio and Tora (with Studio VOLN)
- Yuri!!! on Ice
Tropes Associated with MAPPA:
- Amateur Cast: They prefer to use newer voice actors as opposed to established names in the industry.
- Animation Bump: Select scenes animate at a much more fluid pace than the rest of the episode, like the music scenes in Sakamichi no Apollon or the fights in Rage of Bahamut: Genesis.
- Conspicuous CG: CG is prominently featured in all their productions.
- Scenery Porn