Maruyama Animation Produce Project Association, or better known simply as MAPPA, is a Japanese studio established on June 14, 2011 by former Madhouse staff (including co-founder Masao Mayurama).The objective behind the studio is to achieve greater creative freedom to pursue projects that may be less obviously commercial.
Works by MAPPATelevision series
- GARO: The Animation
- Hajime no Ippo: Rising (with Madhouse)
- Punch Line
- Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
- Sakamichi No Apollon (with Tezuka Productions)
- Shoukoku No Altair
- Terror in Resonance
- Ushio and Tora (with Studio VOLN)
- Yuri!!! on Ice
- The Asterisk War (2nd Key & In-Between Animation)
- Cross Ange (2nd Key Animation)
- Diamond no Ace (2nd Key Animation)
- GATE (2nd Key & In-Between Animation)
- Kuromukuro (Photography)
- Snow White with the Red Hair (In-Between Animation)
- Space Dandy (In-Between Animation; Production Cooperation)
- Tokyo Ghoul (CGI)
- Uchuu Kyoudai (Production Cooperation)
- The Vanishing of Nagato Yuki-chan (2nd Key Animation)
Tropes Associated with MAPPA:
- Amateur Cast: They prefer to use newer voice actors as opposed to established names in the industry.
- Animation Bump: Select scenes animate at a much more fluid pace than the rest of the episode, like the music scenes in Sakamichi no Apollon or the fights in Rage of Bahamut: Genesis.
- Conspicuous CG: CG is prominently featured in all their productions, though Yuri!!! on Ice and In This Corner of the World are notable exceptions.
- Scenery Porn