Maruyama Animation Produce Project Association
, or better known simply as MAPPA
, is a Japanese studio established in 2011 by former Madhouse
staff (including co-founder Masao Mayurama).
The objective behind the studio is to achieve greater creative freedom to pursue projects that may be less obviously commercial.
Works by MAPPA
Tropes Associated with MAPPA:
- Amateur Cast: They prefer to use newer voice actors as opposed to established names in the industry.
- Animation Bump: Select scenes animate at a much more fluid pace than the rest of the episode, like the music scenes in Sakamichi no Apollon or the fights in Rage of Bahamut: Genesis.
- Conspicuous CG: CG is prominently featured in all their productions.
- Doing It for the Art: The whole purpose of the studio.
- Producing Against Type: "Pursue projects that may be less obviously commercial" does not explain the existence of Teekyu!.
- Scenery Porn