John Gavin Malkovich
(born December 9, 1953) is an Academy Award
-nominated actor. He is known for playing creepy psychopaths extremely well, and has appeared in films such as The Killing Fields
, Empire of the Sun
, Con Air
, In the Line of Fire
, and Being John Malkovich
. Malkovich is a master of the Creepy Monotone
, and can either be quietly understated or be a Large Ham
of astronomical proportions. However, as with many great actors, he has appeared in some less-than-luminous films, including Eragon
and Jonah Hex
. He also appears in a cameo in Adaptation
, As Himself during the filming of Being John Malkovich
He is now playing infamous pirate Blackbeard in NBC's Crossbones
, his first major role on the small screen.
Tropes associated with this actor:
- Awesome, Dear Boy: Why he opts to make some questionable fantasy\sci-fi movies such as Eragon and Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
- Bald of Awesome \ Bald of Evil: Since at least In the Line of Fire.
"For a long time I played brooding, "James Dean
" types. I was kind of relieved when my hair fell out and I didn't have to do that any more."
- The Danza: As the titular character in Being John Malkovich, he appears as John Horatio Malkovich, a fictionalized version of himself.
- Fake Nationality: Played many Brits and Frenchmen in his career.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With◊ actor◊ Julian◊ Sands◊. The two met on the set of The Killing Fields, and Malkovich decided Sands was "too sensitive" and "incorruptible", and took it upon himself to be his "bad influence".
- Malkovich is even directing Sands in a tribute to Harold Pinter, which is gaining critical acclaim, and has resulted in Sands getting an award nomination.
- And the two are now working together in Crossbones, with Malkovich as Blackbeard, and Sands as his archenemy.
- Large Ham
- Type Casting: Weirdos, villains, or weird villains (exceptions include Empire of the Sun, The Man in the Iron Mask and Being John Malkovich-where the movie itself is the source of weirdness).