Jenna Coleman (known before summer 2013 as Jenna-Louise Coleman) is a British actress, born in Blackpool
in 1986. She is best known for playing companion Clara
on Doctor Who
alongside Matt Smith
's Eleventh Doctor, making her first appearance in the 2012 Christmas Episode
. She actually first appeared in the series 7 opener "Asylum of the Daleks"
as a character named Oswin Oswald, in the most successfully guarded secret in series history.
Some of her other roles include Jasmine Thomas in Emmerdale
, Lindsay James in Waterloo Road
, Connie (one of Steve and Bucky's dates at the fair) in Captain America: The First Avenger
, and the voice of Melia in the English dub of Xenoblade
Coleman played Annie Desmond in the 2012 miniseries Titanic
, one of many productions dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic
. In 2013, she enjoyed her first full year as a Doctor Who
companion and appeared in Dancing on the Edge
, a series about a black jazz band in the 1930s. She also portrayed an older Lydia Wickham
in the 2013 BBC adaptation of P. D. James' detective novel Death Comes to Pemberley
Tropes associated with this actor include:
- Acting for Two: Well, more than two... In addition to the main one, she portrays several different alternate versions of Clara in Doctor Who. In the minisode "Clara and the TARDIS", this extends to portraying multiple versions of the same Clara.
- Fake American: The only exception to her otherwise purely British characters so far is her bit role as Connie in Captain America: The First Avenger, where her character is American, complete with the accent.
- The Klutz: In an interview for Who she mentioned that her "running down corridors and falling over and tripping over props" was a "daily occurrence". Given that she's working alongside Matt Smith, fans have already begun sending their prayers to the Doctor Who prop department.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Applies to some of the more antiheroic or calculating characters she's played (e.g. Lydia).
- Motor Mouth: Rumor has it that one of the reasons she won the part is that she can talk even faster than Matt Smith.
- Oop North: She's from Blackpool. Clara is from Lancashire as well and has mentioned Blackpool a few times.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: She is only about five feet tall, making her nearly a whole foot shorter than Karen Gillan.
- Two First Names: Her own name (theoretically three, if you count "Louise" as separate), but curiously enough, also a frequent pattern for some of the characters she's portrayed: Jasmine Thomas, Lindsay James, Annie Desmond, Clara Oswald.