Giancarlo Giuseppe Alessandro Esposito (born April 26, 1958) is an Americannote actor active in film and television since the age of six. He's been seen in films such as Do the Right Thing, The Usual Suspects, Malcolm X, Maximum Overdrive, Trading Places and King of New York. He is also a familar face on television with regular and recurring roles on Homicide: Life on the Street, Once Upon a Time and Revolution. He is perhaps best known for his critically acclaimed portrayal of Chilean-American drug kingpin Gustavo 'Gus' Fring on the hit series Breaking Bad.
- Ambiguously Brown: He's played Hispanic and African characters. And then you have Gus, who is Chilean. Esposito is actually African-American and Italian.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name:
- Celebrity Resemblance: Let's not kid ourselves: he and Will Smith are probably your first choices for a Barack Obama bio-pic too.
- Former Child Star: Averted! He started acting at age six. He's in his mid-fifties now and doing just fine.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Giancarlo has been seen mostly playing villains like Gus Fring, Tom Neville and Sidney Glass. He's actually a remarkably thoughtful, well-spoken and genuinely pleasant man. In his Reddit AMA, he responded to questions through videos where he gave long, thought-out answers.
- Nice Hat: Often sports one.
- Older Than They Look: He's nearly 60, but seemingly hasn't aged for the past 15 years.
- "Sesame Street" Cred: By way of Retroactive Recognition.
- Star-Making Role: He was well known from Do the Right Thing and Homicide, but playing Gus Fring on Breaking Bad earned him critical acclaim and newfound fame.
- 1989 Do the Right Thing as Buggin' Out
- 1992 Bob Roberts as John Alijah "Bugs" Raplin
- 1992 Malcolm X as Thomas Hayer
- 1994 Fresh as Esteban
- 1995 The Usual Suspects as Jack Baer
- 1995 Waiting to Exhale as David Matthews
- 2001 Monkeybone as Hypnos
- 2001 Ali as Cassius Marcellus Clay, Sr.
- 2005 Film/Derailed as Detective Franklin Church
- 2006 Last Holiday as Senator Dillings
- 2006 Sherry Baby as Parole Officer Hernandez
- 2007 The Box as Detective Dwayne Burkhalter
- 2012 Alex Cross as Daramus Holiday
- 2014 Son of Batman as Ra's Al Ghul
- 2014 Batman: Assault on Arkham as Black Spider
- 2016 The Jungle Book (2016) as Akela
- 1982 Sesame Street as Mickey
- 1998–1999 Homicide: Life on the Street as Federal Agent Mike Giardello
- 2000–2001 The Street as Tom Divack
- 2005 Law & Order as Rodney Fallon
- 2009–2011 Breaking Bad as Gustavo "Gus" Fring (a role he wants to reprise for the spin off, Better Call Saul)
- 2011–2014 Once Upon a Time as Sidney Glass/Magic Mirror/Genie of Agrabah
- 2012–2013 Community as Gilbert Lawson
- 2012–2014 Revolution as Tom Neville
- 2013 Axe Cop as Army Chihuahua