"Never be ashamed of being human, Mr Moreland. Without humanity, a leader becomes a tyrant."Taps
— General Bache
is a 1981 film, directed by Harold Becker and starring Timothy Hutton, Sean Penn
, Tom Cruise
and George C Scott
. The story revolves around young military cadets who take over their academy in order to prevent the directory from closing it. It is based on the book Father Sky
, by Devery Freeman.
It was the second role of Tom Cruise
, and his first major role after a brief appearance in Endless Love
, and the first non-TV movie of Sean Penn
. Timothy Hutton had already burst into the acting scene by playing in Ordinary People
These Tropes are beautiful, man ! Beautiful :
- A Father to His Men: Bache at first, and then Brian.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Mentioned by Bache in a war story he tells Moreland. "Of course I was scared. Must have lost twenty pounds, all of it brown."
- Calling the Old Man Out : Brian to Sergeant Moreland, who still considers him as a kid (see They Call Me Mister Tibbs).
Brian: He [Bache] is the example we follow!
- Child Soldiers: The senior cadets are teenagers and there are considerably younger ones as well. Moreland even quotes what Bache taught him about children being the last line of muster, something that Col. Kerby finds horrifying.
- Establishing Character Moment: When climbing the stairs and getting to their room, right after the introduction ceremony, the three main characters are exposed :
- Brian Moreland is the gentle leader, respected by all others (we don't know yet he is the Cadet Major).
- Alex Dwyer is his subversive close friend, mocking the book of remembrance.
- David Shawn admires Moreland but hates Dwyer (see Flipping the Bird) and already looks like an insane angry Jerkass.
- Downer Ending: JC get seriously burned, the little kid Charlie,Brian and Shawn get shot.
- Face-Heel Turn: "Lieutenant West, requesting permission to be dismissed, sir."
- Flipping the Bird: Shawn to Dwyer in introduction.
- Foregone Conclusion: The school IS going to be closed. Used by Colonel Kerby when telling Brian that he can't win this.
Col. Kerby: Mr Moreland, you know, and I know, that it's never gonna go your way. You do know that, don't you ?
- Four-Star Badass: General Bache.
- Heroic BSOD: Brian gets several when things start to go wrong.
- Honor Before Reason: Brian, oh so much.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Brian during his last BSOD about Charlie.
- Sarcastic Devotee / Sour Supporter: Alex Dwyer is this to Brian Moreland.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Impersonated with Shawn vs. Dwyer.
- Taps: Obviously is pops up a number of times; at the beginning when the school reads off the names and dates of alumni who fell in battle, and when they have their memorial service for General Bache. The movie's title also indicates the impending death of the academy.
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs: Brian to his father :
Brian: Stop calling me kid.
Sgt Moreland: You expect me to call you Major ? You can forget it.
- They Have Reserves: From Bache : "They kept coming at us, wave after wave. Totally indifferent to casualties. Of course, the Chinese always had plenty of bodies to spare."
- - What in God's name did they teach you in here? What did they turn you into?
- - A TROPER, which is the only thing I ever wanted to be !