Can they go back to how things were? Or will they go native?
A stand-alone story following the events of Avengers Arena
. The survivors of Murder World are broken
and came out the other side much different than they went in. Those psychological scars from the "Arena" weigh heavily on all of the kids and they don't fit so well into their old lives. They no longer feel like they belong and they're all looking for a way to get back what they've lost. All of this leads several of the surviving characters down the path of infiltrating Bagalia, a supervillain underground nation, and the Masters of Evil
, in hopes of getting their superhero lives back...only to find that maybe they fit in better with the villains.Note
: The mere existence of this series spoilers the outcome of Avengers Arena
. If you have not read Avengers Arena
, please read that first before reading the trope page as those spoilers will be unmarked.
This book contains the following tropes:
- Bad Powers, Good People: Several of the characters have their powers rooted here, from Nico's magic to Cullen's soul-beast. It's the reason that Cullen decides to stay in Bagalia by stating he was always going to be a villain.(Assuming he's not being controlled/manipulated by Damien Hellstrome as implied by the end of issue 1/the cover of issue 2)
- Broken Bird: Every female character. Cammi is affected the least, but Nico has shut her friends out, Hazmat nearly irradiated a group of kids in anger, and Deathlocket is morning her first love, Tim.
- Celebrity Is Overrated: The kids have become celebrities of sorts in light of everything, but none of them exactly like it. Chase is the only one who actively embraces his celebrity status and its stated that may be his way of coping.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: The kids didn't want to be pitied after everything they went through. That's half the reason they take on the assignment.
- First Law of Resurrection: Cammi's alcoholic mother was killed off in the Drax mini-series Cammi debuted in, but she's brought back in this series and she cites what Cammi has been through helped her into sobriety.
- Freaky Is Cool: The gang finds out first hand that the villains of Bagalia are far more accepting of them than the outside world and the heroic community has been. However, the most notable is Excavator, a one-time villain from the Runaways series, who immediately starts crushing on Deathlocket, and even stands up for her when some freaky mad-scientist starts perving out over her Deathlock implants. This comes after she and the rest of the group give Excavator and his crew a sound thrashing upon their landing in Bagalia.
- Freak Out: Cullen, who has changed the most. He's been hunting Arcade every since Murderworld, and freaks out badly when he destroys Arcade's last known mansion — and Arcade isn't there.
- Freakiness Shame: The reason why Cullen didn't like the surface world, between his powers and sexuality being less accepted.
- Going Native: Cullen went to Bagalia to kill Arcade. He loves it there so much he decides to stay full time. Assuming he's not being manipulated/controlled by Damian Hellstrom as implied by the end of issue 1/the cover of issue 2
- The Handler: Averted. The kids came up with the plan themselves so there is no Handler or Mission Control.
- Heartbroken Badass: Deathlocket, Anachronism, and Hazmat.
- Heroic BSOD: Each character is dealing with the after effects of Murderworld in different ways, with Cullen going off the deep end.
- The Infiltration: Averted. The events of Murder World have been broadcasted so the team are too renowned to go incognito.
- Late Arrival Spoiler: This series spoils the fact that Cammi, Hazmat, Cullen, Deathlocket, Anachronsim, Nico and Chase survive the events of Avengers Arena.
- Protagonist Journey To Villain: Seemingly the events of the previous series set up Cullen's.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: For everything Arcade has done, Cullen wants his head and has chased him all the way to Bagalia.
- Room Full of Crazy: Cullen's Room.
- Time Skip: The story takes place a few months after Avengers Arena.
- Villain Takes an Interest: No sooner than the group lands in Bagalia does Constrictor, Madame Masque, and Damian "Son of Satan" Hellstrom, all take an interest in them.
- Wretched Hive: Bagalia, home to several supervillains, most notably Baron Zemo.
- Wolverine Publicity: Much like in Arena, the Avengers named is slapped on despite there being one heroic character being affiliated with the Avengers (and she comes from Avengers Academy.) At least the villains are classic Avengers villains.