The Pet Avengers are a Marvel Comics
superhero team who have appeared in occasional miniseries.
The team roster, drawn from the pets and animal companions of the Marvel Universe's human superheroes, includes:
The Pet Avengers have appeared in:
- Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers (4 issues, 2009): The Pet Avengers are brought together for the first time to aid in a search for the Infinity Gems.
- Pet Avengers Classic (trade paperback, 2009): Collection of pre-Pet Avengers adventures of the various animals.
- Tales of the Pet Avengers (online comic, 2010): Solo adventures.
- Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers Unleashed (4 issues, 2010): The Pet Avengers are reunited to handle a threat facing all the world's mythical creatures.
- Avengers vs. the Pet Avengers (4 issues, 2010-11): The Avengers request the Pet Avengers' aid with Fin Fang Foom and a clutch of dragons, but the two groups come into conflict over the best way to handle the situation.
The Pet Avengers' adventures provide examples of:
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: Several of the animals in comparison to their previous depiction in human-centric stories. May be justified by their exposure to the Infinity Gems in the first mini.
- Animal Superheroes
- Baleful Polymorph: Avengers vs. Pet Avengers is kicked off with Thor summoning the Pet Avengers because Fin Fang Foom turned him, Captain America, and Iron Man into frogs.
- The Cameo: Barack Obama's dog Bo lends a paw in the first mini.
- Canon Immigrant: Ms. Lion, who had previously only appeared in the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends animated series.
- Covers Always Lie: The final issue of Unleashed has a cover announcing "The Pet Avengers against an incredibly evil beast SO BIG that he won't even fit on the cover!" The Pet Avengers do fight an enormous beast, but "incredibly evil" is not a fair description and it's not nearly the most important thing that happens in the issue.
- The Ditz: Ms. Lion.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Ms. Lion.
- Tagalong Kid / Team Pet: Ms. Lion.