A comic strip of a conservative/libertarian bent by Scott Stantis set in the eponymous Southwestern town. The main characters(frequently the only
characters who appear for weeks at a time) are Carmen, a young Hispanic girl, representing the conservative point of view
and Winslow, a coyote pup representing the liberal view
Tropes found in this work
- A Friend in Need: Winslow and Carmen
- After-Action Patchup: After one of Winslow's attempts to fly, Carmen hurries up with a firstaid box.
- Ambiguously Brown: Carmen. Kevin wants her to go undercover in Obama's campaign.
Carmen: 'Cause I'm a girl.
Kevin: Well that. Plus you're... Uh, you're... What the heck are you?!
- Anxiety Dreams: After supporting Kevin's election
- Are We There Yet?: Carmen following Kevin through the tunnel.
- Author Avatar
- Author On Board
- Bad Dreams: After supporting Kevin's election
- Big "NO!": Carmen's reaction to being told what the Obama campaign wants her to do.
- Big Red Button: Which disappoints Winslow: no boom.
- Blah Blah Blah
- Blatant Lies: Covering up Kevin's disappearance.
- Break-Out Character: Kevin.
- Briar Patching: When Kevin angles for the VP nomination.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Kevin, Lost Bunny of the Apocalypse
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: A large chunk of the cast disappeared in the first couple years.
- Kevin the Lost Bunny of the Apocalypse reappeared after a long absence (with a different design) and has become a regular again since the 2010 election.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Winslow, sometimes.
- Coyotes Always Howl At The Moon: Which is why it's good there's only one.
- Deliberately Monochrome: One Sunday strip, going from grayscale to yellow-toned, to full color.
- Dirty Business: The Blatant Lies, according to Carmen.
- Explosive Breeder: Rabbits, of course.
- Fire and Brimstone Hell: Where you can find a sincere supporter of Kevin
- Follow the Leader: After La Cucaracha and of course Calvin and Hobbes (with switched personalities).
- And Winslow's life-long dream of flying. If that's not blatantly copying Opus, I don't know what it is.
- Friendship Moment: Winslow hugs Carmen when she's down (and the panel is grayscale).
- Gone Horribly Right: The solar-powered drone works right the first time.
- Humans Are Bastards: Opie the alien calls off his invasion of Earth because he doesn't want to catch the self-destructive thing we have.
- Ironic Echo: Carmen tells Winslow that trying to fly over and over is insane because he keeps expecting different results. Winslow calls the mental health center because she keeps telling him the same thing and expecting different results.
- It's the Journey That Counts: Winslow offers this as an Aesop
- It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
- Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My!
- Loophole Abuse
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Kevin's
- Missing White Woman Syndrome: Kevin's disappearance manages to attract attention despite not being blond.
- The Mole: Carmen
- Moses in the Bullrushes: Winslow claims this is how his story starts, with a basket in the rushes...
- Multiple Choice Past: ...until he starts making contrary claims.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Why, you've gotten the Lost Bunny of the Apocalypse elected to the Senate, what else?
- The Nose Knows: Winslow claims it as a superpower
- Oh Wait, This Is My Grocery List
- Only Sane Man: Carmen... usually.
- Only Smart People May Pass
- Paper-Thin Disguise
- Pretty Butterflies: Carmen and Winslow admire one one lazy day.
- Raised by Wolves: Reversed. Winslow is so humanized that an attempt to live with wild coyotes failed miserably.
- Ripped from the Headlines: As with most political comics. For example, in one story Winslow refused to let Carmen buy football cards just because she's a conservative; meanwhile, she pointed out that the football players are far worse ("drug abuser... deadbeat dad... adulterer...!"). This was based on the controversy over Rush Limbaugh wanting to buy a football team.
- Running Gag: Winslow trying to fly, for one.
- Schmuck Bait: Unsatisfactory for Winslow, since it does nothing.
If you break the rules you deserve a boom.
- Screwy Squirrel: Winslow sometimes
- Shout-Out: "Speaking is Action! Spending is Saving! Debt is Stimulus!"
- Single Tear: Winslow, after a parting from Carmen.
- Strawman Political
- Talk About the Weather
- Talking Animal: Winslow the coyote and other desert-dwellers.
- That Cloud Looks Like: Carmen's looks like a bunny; Winslow is gone because he sees a T-rex with fork and knife.
- Torches and Pitchforks
- Vitriolic Best Buds
- Vote Early, Vote Often: Rejected. The dead voted only once for Kevin.
- Wall of Blather
- Your Head A Splode