is a five issue The Dresden Files
miniseries set in between Dead Beat
and Proven Guilty
Four months after the White Council's military arm, the Wardens, were nearly destroyed in Sicily and the Congo, leading to White Council Black Sheep
Harry Dresden being drafted, he and a few of his younger colleagues are dispatched to a small house in the middle of nowhere staffed by a small detachment of one of the White Council's allies, the Venatori Umbrorum
, who they must protect. Protect from what? Well, as it turns out, the answer is an army of Red Court Vampires
led by Baron Bravosa, who is intent on getting something inside the house, something the Venatori are protecting and something, crucially, that Harry knows nothing about. And if he doesn't find out, it could cost him his life. Or worse
Tropes appearing in War Cry include:
- Affably Evil: Baron Bravosa puts on this fašade, but as with all Red Court Vampires, he's really just Faux Affably Evil.
- Badass: Harry, as per usual, and Carlos Ramirez, but it's in this miniseries we get to see two other lesser known Wardens, Yoshimo and Wild Bill strut their stuff, and they do not disappoint.
- Badass Bookworm: The Venatori, previously described by Dresden as 'the Masons with Machine Guns'.
- Big Damn Heroes: Thomas.
- Crazy Enough to Work: a staple of Harry's plans.
- Eldritch Abomination: It turns out that what the Red Court are after is a shoggoth, a supernatural WMD, which could, according to Harry, destroy New York inside a day, by eating. So he gives it to them.
- Handicapped Badass: Harry's still operating with just one effective hand.
- Wild Bill ends up having his hand broken.
- Humanoid Abomination: Red Court Vampires, under their flesh mask.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The epilogue clearly spells out Peabody as the traitor on the White Council, something anyone who's read Turn Coat already knows.