- Berserk Button: Mentioning his brothers, disrespecting his mother or questioning his mentor. The former is enough to drive him to accept the princess's offer of wine, something he attested moments earlier to have no taste for.
- Cute Bookworm: Just like Twilight Sparkle, although in this case his looks are given special attention by several characters including his own mother.
- Expy: Word of God freely admits he is based almost entirely on Twilight Sparkle, with a bit of Fluttershy's self-image issues mixed in.
- Genre Blind: He doesn't think much of The Power of Love and The Power of Friendship at first, despite living a setting built on them.
- Genre Savvy: Apparently he's become this by spending most of his time with his nose in the books. He hasn't done much with it though, besides lampshading a subverted case of Innocent Innuendo.
- Love at First Sight: The first time he sees Lady Stella Artois, and yes, his inner critic is very self-aware as to how cliche this is.
- Socially-Awkward Hero
- Squishy Wizard
- Super Speed Reading: Stated to be a "cutie mark-powered super speed reader."
- You Need to Get Laid: Taken Up to Eleven when Celestia essentially issues a royal decree to this effect, although it's given a G-rated disguise: "to study the magic of love." Which doesn't resemble Twilight Sparkle's first character arc at all.
- Anything That Moves: She flirts with practically everyone, single or married, mare or stallion, stranger or her best friend.
- Bi the Way: Her attraction to Arcanus is clear, but she also hints that she'd take a shot at Stella herself if no one beats her to it.
- Chivalrous Pervert: She technically solicits a callmare (that she finds very attractive) and opts to do nothing with her, refusing to take advantage of a poor single mother. She also states that, despite her libido, it's actually been awhile since she last got laid.
- Crazy-Prepared: She carries a saddlebag with her (including to formal events like a debutante ball) that seems to contain a wide array of tools and reagents."Ever find thyself thinking 'gosh, this would be so much easier if I had a screwdriver?' I made a list."
- Deadpan Snarker
- Hidden Depths: Drops her usual playful innuendos to perform a flawless Sherlock Scan in chapter 7.
- Making a Splash: She attempts to cast a water spell in chapter 8 called Hydro Pump.
- Rags to Riches: It's implied that her family actually gambled their way into the ranks of nobility. This is possibly a reason why Aurora constantly belittles her.
- Sophisticated as Hell
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Aurora.
- Always Second Best: Despite apparently having many accomplishments to her name, including being a senior student of Princess Celestia, she clearly feels this way toward her older sister Belphegor.
- Deadpan Snarker: Likes to play this way toward Moonthistle, although it rarely ends in her favor.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: She seems to have developed one of these as a result of living in her sister's shadow, and passive-aggressively directs it at Moonthistle.
- Glory Days: She used to be quite an athlete, to the point of having the fastest gallop in the kingdom and being known as the Red Mare (almost certainly a reference to Red Hare). However, she insists she's "outgrown" such silly games and intends to pursue a career in academics.
- Playing with Fire: Hinted to be her special talent, and a powerful one at that. The fire she lights is almost strong enough to melt a fireplace poker.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Moonthistle.
- But Liquor Is Quicker: The reason she wound up pregnant with Arcanus (and possibly his brothers).
- High-Class Glass
- Incurable Cough of Death: Produces blood at one point.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Being a Victorian-esque upper-middle class lady of taste doesn't preclude her from using such language as "laying it on thick," "bingo!" and referring to socialization as "mingling."
- Action Prologue: She appears in chapter 1 and is defeated in chapter 2, just like in the actual show.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Her desperate last attempt at throwing Celestia off guard. It doesn't work.
- Doomed by Canon
- Evil Is Not a Toy: She was created when Luna recklessly immersed herself in unstable dark magic.
- Green-Eyed Monster
- Villainous Breakdown: Starts off a Smug Snake, but her calm facade begins to crack as Celestia pushes her buttons. She completely goes to pieces just before her defeat.