- Anti-Hero: A Sociopathic Hero at best and an arguable Villain Protagonist at worst.
- Bad Cop/Incompetent Cop: Change screws up multiple times in the film, gets multiple people killed including himself, and is effortlessly manipulated by Masters.
- Boom, Headshot
- The Hero Dies: If he can be considered as one, that is.
- Meaningful Name
- Police Brutality: Prone to doing this.
- Psychopathic Manchild: His genuinely scary glee after the car chase and during his rape of Ruth reeks of this.
- Rabid Cop: A particularly rabid Secret Service agent.
- Revenge Before Reason
- Sociopathic Hero
- Villain Protagonist
- Anti-Villain: Keeps his word, and never breaks a contract. Woe to those who fail to do either.
- Bad Boss: Tries to have Cody killed in prison.
- Death Seeker: A common interpretation of his motivations.
- Evil Virtues: Takes extreme pride in his level of crafstmanship, and his reputation.
- Kill It with Fire
- The Unfettered