Characters: Noroi: The Curse
Masafumi KobayashiAn Intrepid Reporter who works in Paranormal Investigation, Kobayashi's final footage labelled "The Curse" reveals he disappeared when his house burnt down and his wife was found dead. He investigated a series of connected paranormal events in the video, leading to Kagutaba.
- Audience Surrogate
- Be Careful What You Wish For:Kobayashi (quoted at the start of the film): I want the truth. No matter how horrifying it may be.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu
- Intrepid Reporter
- Never Found the Body
- Occult Detective
- Paranormal Investigation
- Posthumous Character: Presumably.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Established at the start of the film.
Keiko KobayashiKobayashi's devoted wife. She dies in the house fire, actually setting herself on fire under Kagutaba's influence.
- Demonic Possession: Just long enough to dump gasoline on herself and light a match.
- Driven to Suicide
- Kill It with Fire
- Man on Fire
MiyajimaKobayashi's cameraman and the audience's POV for most of the film.
- In-Universe Camera
- P.O.V. Cam
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Miyajima's fate is never revealed, but due to Fridge Brilliance, he may have been spared since he and Marika did not disturb Kagutaba's shrine like Kobayashi and Hori did.
- As Herself
- Demonic Possession
- Final Girl
- Haunted Heroine
- Psychic Powers: She has a sixth sense that allows her to sense spirits and evil demons.
- Room Full of Crazy: The antics she does when she is possessed involve creating looping patterns with wires, sleepwalking and making weird noises.
- Screaming Woman: When possessed/attacked by Kagutaba.
Mitsuo HoriA seemingly disturbed man, Mitsuo Hori is described as a "Super Psychic" and is highly regarded by paranormal researchers. However, he wears tinfoil and lives in a house of madness. He tries to use his powers to point Kobayashi in the right direction, despairing when the little Kana disappears.
- Big Word Shout: "KANA!!!"
- Character Tics: Hori is very fidgety, often making weird motions with his hands, adjusting his hat and scratching his neck.
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Everything and everywhere he pointed to were related to Kagutaba.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Hori is found dead, stuffed into a ventilation shaft.
- Mad Oracle: Though his madness makes a lot of sense when you consider that for however terrifying the imagery we see in the film can be, it likely doesn't hold a candle to whatever it is that Hori sees all around him, all the time.
- Madness Mantra: "Kana!", "Ectoplasmic Worms!" and "What is Kagutaba!?"
- The Mentally Disturbed: Hard to say.
- Psychic Powers
- Room Full of Crazy: His whole house fills this trope.