Awesome: Peaky Blinders
open/close all folders
- Say what you like about Campbell, but his beatdown of Arthur and his rousting of the Bolsheviks show his effectiveness and what an intimidating presence he is.
- Polly showing what a stone-cold badass she is in 1.02 - first, she psychs out Campbell by refusing to be intimidated by his manhandling her, instead kissing him because she knows it'll unnerve him. Second, she stands up to Tommy about Ada and confronts him about fixing races behind Billy Kimber's back, even takes a fireplace poker to threaten Tommy with when he burns Ada's letter to Freddie.
- Tommy's bonfire designed entirely to get up Campbell's nose. He even invites a reporter from the Birmingham Dispatch to paint himself as a war hero and Campbell as an invader, the resulting article going straight to Churchill, who calls out Campbell for his failure.
- Tommy's long-con on the Lees, proposing an alliance with Billy Kimber against both the Lees and Campbell's investigation.
- Ada's response to Tommy asking her who the father of her child was: "Rudolph Valentino". As Tommy himself says, no one dares to so much as look the wrong way at him, and here Ada is, sassing her extremely volatile gangster big brother.
- Ada running through Peaky Blinders territory in her wedding dress. If that isn't the biggest "fuck you" to her brothers in existence, I don't know what would be.
- Polly vs. Grace at the Garrison. The entire damned scene, starting with Polly telling Grace they all know about her and drawing her hairpin out. Grace pulls a gun on her, dispensing with the "sweet innocent barmaid" act, which doesn't faze Polly a bit, and she continues telling Grace precisely what she is, a narc, an Ulster girl who hated low people like Polly until she met Tommy. This strikes a nerve with Grace and she puts her gun down, threatens Polly with her fists - to which Polly laughs, replaces her hairpin, and tells Grace to pour them a whiskey, they're more civilized than that.
Polly: But I should tell you this - I will never forgive you, or accept you, or take you in. And it's me who runs the business of the heart in this family. As far as I'm concerned, you're a snitch from the parish, and if you're not gone from this city by tomorrow, I'll kill you myself.
- The battle between the Peaky Blinders and Kimber's men isn't won by either side, but by Ada Shelby, pushing her baby carriage into "no man's land" and telling Kimber off for trying to kill her brothers and husband. It's ruined by Kimber getting a little Trigger Happy, but the fact remains that Ada fucking Shelby faced down two dozen trained gangsters bent on killing her family, and she won.
- Tommy scoring a single shot Boom, Headshot on Billy Kimber
- The winner of the Grace vs. Campbell showdown - Grace Burgess, who shoots Campbell *through her purse* with the derringer he gave her, permanently injuring him and walking away without a scratch.
- The three Shelby brothers swaggering into London, walking into a club owned by notorious Italian gangsters, and causing and *winning* a huge melee.
- In 2.03, John very quietly and calmly tells Polly off when she refuses to let Michael go to the horse auction with the boys, reminding her that at Michael's age, he had already "killed a hundred men and seen a thousand more die".
- Tommy bypassing Campbell in the chain of command and going straight to Winston Churchill. Not only does Tommy's war record and self-sacrificing nature make Campbell look weak and petty, but Churchill and his advisors all acknowledge that Tommy's request of an international export license is a paltry reward for everything he's done.
- The Peaky Blinders' takeover of the Eden Club, lead by Arthur at his most terrifying.
- Michael and Isaiah throwing down with the racists at the Marquis, proving that badassery runs in all of the assorted Peaky Blinder families (Michael being a Shelby and Polly's son, Isaiah being Jeremiah's son).
- The Epsom Derby in 2.06 is a crowner for the entire Shelby family, but in specific:
- Tommy's plan coming together nearly perfectly: the Field Marshal and Campbell are dead, Sabini's pitches now belong to the Shelbys, and Alfie Solomons is an ally once more. Plus, Tommy escapes execution due to a double-agent in Campbell's Ulster Volunteers, and is on his way to meeting Churchill himself.
- Polly at Epsom, as she corners Campbell in a telephone booth in a crowded betting parlor, shoots him in what is strongly implied to be the genital area, and watches him die. Then caps it off by telling him not to fuck with the Peaky Blinders, and strolling out of Epsom, blood staining her immaculate white dress.