An anime produced by Konami and animated by KK C&D Asia note (and by a lesser extent Studio Junio).Mike is a sensitive soul that has seen too much. His story begins with him in the midst of The Vietnam War, when this poetry-loving indivudal sees the horrors of war first-hand. While he survives and gets discharged after injury, several friends don't make it. Shell-shocked, he tries to find his place in the world, becoming a drifter, participating in underground fighting rings, and acting generally numb to the world until he settles down in a nice, quiet town to take care of their library. There, he falls in love, contends with a love rival, and discovers that running away from his problems only results in them exploding in his face.It's very poignant. Very serious. And every single character is a cute penguin.Conceived as an Anime vehicle to promote popular 80's-era Suntory Beer, Mike The Penguin (later renamed Pentarou) this movie is one of the most jarring things to watch, as you see penguins that appear like they belong in a children's show with a script that is on par, in both content and tone, with The Deer Hunter. It also features the song "Sweet Memories," by Seiko Matsuda, one of the all-time most successful idol singers in Japan.Nearly impossible to find these days even in Japan, and the inherent Mood Whiplash pretty much ensures that there will be No Export for You.
- The Anime of the Game: Of Antarctic Adventure. Suntory's beer commercials also fall under this as well.
- Captain Ersatz: Inverted; Mike is and was later renamed Pentarou (Penta for short) of Penguin Adventure (sometimes, after you beat a stage, Pentarou will think about beer as a in joke to this and the commercials) and Parodius fame; At first the penguin did not have a name (as was the case with Antarctic Adventure) but he did get the Mike name for a short time before renaming him Pentarou; Suntory stop using him in their commercials not because of what happened later with the infamous Joe Camel, but because Suntory did not what to pay Konami any more royalties for the characters.
- Everything's Better with Penguins
- Gratuitous English: All the penguin names. In particular, "TOOOOOMUUUUUU!"
- The Deer Hunter with penguins. Also, Penguin Fight Club.
- Mature Animal Story
- Mood Whiplash: The art style versus the subject. Also, when the random singalong with the penguin chicks happens.
- The Musical: Given the romantic interest was voiced by an Idol Singer, pretty much a given.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Mike spends much of the movie like this.
- War Is Hell