- Cool vs. Awesome: Alyx's D0G fighting SHODAN's androids alongside one of the Vox's Motorized Patriots!
- Fanon Discontinuity: Certain events from the aforementioned games are slightly altered, partly due to the author's dislike of their original turnout, most notably being the removal of System Shock 2's Sequel Hook. This is brought back around as a cameo near the end, though, as one of the several dozen alternate versions of SHODAN in the Sea of Doors.
- Spared by the Adaptation:
- At the beginning, Marie Delacroix is found to be critically wounded instead of dead like in the actual System Shock 2, and Goggles manages to heal her with a Medkit. Notable in that the author only found out said death in the game, after writing this story.
- Goggles and his teammates save Booker from drowning, as it turned out that SHODAN had been tampering with every version of Elizabeth to kill him.
- Take That, Scrappy!: During SHODAN's android onslaught of Columbia, two of those robots find Jeremiah Fink still chained to a chair in the cell where Elizabeth rescued Chen Lin from and coldly stab him between the eyes with a laser rapier, then turn off the lights and leave without a word. For all the destruction those androids wreak, killing one of the most despicable characters of the game is almost worth it.
YMMV / Goggles And The Tears