- It was said in the pilot that they need that specific sheep, but they didn't elaborate why.
- Genetics are the new radioactivity, perhaps?
- The commercials when it was on air suggested it was because it was because it was the only sheep that would fit in the "sheep shaped hole".
- In the pilot episode, somebody asked General Specific why couldn't he just pick some random sheep and adjust the hole to make the captured sheep fit it but he reacted on a way that made everyone afraid to bring this up ever again.
- Word of God says that they raygun was supposed to have a purpose (they were trying to take over Wisconson), but eventually realized that General Specific and Private Public "aren't very bright," and just left it ambiguous to make them look dumber.
General Specific just had a sheep-powered ray gun made to commit two evils at once.
- Wait, what? This... this is not even wild! He has a sheep-powered gun with a "Sheep shaped hole", that's why! Come on, Wiki Magic, we can do better than that!
- The guess was probably that he made the ray gun sheep-powered to commit two evils at once (genocide and whatever the ray gun did) rather than using a less cruel power source.
- Jossed by the fact that the pilot and various other episodes clearly show that Sheep's not the only sheep around. There's also his friend the X Agent and his old barnyard friends Sammy, Clammy, and Rammy from "My, How Ewe Have Changed".
- Or else, if he didn't pretend to be stupid, then he'd get fired and wouldn't have a chance getting another show. (Final episode proves that Specific does indeed want more facetime.)
- They said in the first episode: Sheep is the only one who'd actually fit into the raygun.