- Edited for Syndication: Two scenes from the beginning school carnival sequence were cut when the episode went into syndication. The scenes have since been restored when the episode was put on DVD:
- One scene where Otto operates a rocket ride and Bart tells him to crank up the speed. Otto does so, and one of the cars on the ride crashes into the side of the school. Otto then runs off to Mexico as an angry mob chases him down. Worth noting because, without that scene, viewers (who have never seen the uncut version of the episode before) won't know why there's a smoking hole in the side of the school.
- A short scene of Milhouse going inside a shack labeled a "Spook House," which is little more than school bullies/resident thugs Dolph, Jimbo, and Kearney standing under a bare bulb and beating up any kid who comes inside. When Milhouse comes out, Bart goes inside and gets the same treatment.
- Shout-Out: While at the beauty parlor, Lisa's possible styles include Bo Derek's braids from Ten, a hi-top fade in the style of Kid and Play, and Princess Leia's side buns.
- Unintentional Period Piece:
- Laramie Cigarettes sponsoring an event to waive the 1971 broadcast advertising ban would become this by the late 1990s, when all tobacco advertising was prohibited in the US, partly as a result of the furor surrounding Joe Camel, parodied here as Menthol Moose.
- Bob Hope is depicted as alive in the episode. He died in 2003 at the age of 100. Kent Brockman also mentions an interview he did with Pope John Paul II, who died in 2005 and was canonized nine years later.
- Write What You Know: Jeff Martin based the episode on some of his own experiences, such as the scene where Lisa has a caricature of herself drawn.
Trivia / The Simpsons S4 E4 "Lisa the Beauty Queen"