The story follows Mara Stone, a twisted and cruel girl living in a dark fantasy world. In the beginning of the story, all we know is that she and her brother got betrayed. They both land themselves in one of the worst prison's in her empire.
She makes a choice that allows her the slight chance to live, but how many sacrifices will she make?
This is a story about a anti-heroine that journeys in to villainous territory.
The series provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: We learn that Mara's father physically hurt Mara in a discreet manner whenever she did things that displeased him.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: While attempting to teach Mara how to torture, Tom finds out that he had been lied to by the prisoner. He decides to keep hurting the prisoner even after he finally gets all the information that he had been looking for.
- Hellhole Prison: This is technically what Ender's Mine is.
- I Ts All About Me: Mara Stone.
- Inevitable Mutual Betrayal: Jester was obviously going to betray her, but at the time Mara hadn't gone full on crazy. She relied on her brother most of the time.
- Kill the Poor: Throughout the first arc of the story, even though it is not explicitly said so, we see poor get killed. The captured prisoners, whom are more like slaves, mine in lethal toxic environments.
- Near-Rape Experience: Hassan, an apprentice for the torture master, tries to do this to Mara. He fails to do so because Tom finishes her abusive lessons early.
- Villain Protagonist: While others don't think of Mara as an evil entity that they should be cautious of, they do so after when she starts to become a little more aggressive. It is implied that she has always been evil but that may not have been the case. It is lightly implied that Mara grew to be cold when she started to get abused by her father.