- "Do I look pretty, daddy?"
- Doubling as a Tear Jerker, when Anna dies, her father uses an astronomy metaphor to explain how he feels.Sometimes two stars are wrapped up in each other's orbits, too close to distinguish or include anything else. It's not until the smaller one goes out that you realize how brightly it really shone. And then, really, it's too late.
- It's doubly meaningful as Anna's real name is Andromeda. (Bryan picked it out)
- At the end of the book, after Anna wins her lawsuit, she indicates to her lawyer that she intends to go through with the transplant anyway, the difference being that this time it's her choice. Doubles as a Tear Jerker because it suggests that if not for the accident, both Kate and Anna could have survived — even though Kate seems to think otherwise.
- Kate herself is willing to give up her life so that Anna can live hers to the fullest. It's especially poignant in the book because it's flat-out stated that she doesn't want to die, she just doesn't want to keep living at Anna's expense.
- In one blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, Jesse tells his mother that he's been donating platelets to Kate too (since that only requires a blood type compatibility rather than the kind of precise genetic match needed for bone marrow and organ transplanting).
Heartwarming / My Sister's Keeper