The story was initially a one-shot of the Elements of Harmony 200 years after the events of the premiere, but the author has made a sequel chapter to it as well, with plans for more stories as they live with immortality.
The Light Never Goes Out contains examples of:
- The Ageless: Each of the bearers thanks to the powers of the Elements of Harmony.
- Driven to Suicide: Rarity upon Sweetie Belle's death. Unfortunately for her, it doesn't work. The cuffs she wears over the scars from this actually cause Spikie's Heroice Sacrifice when they catch on a stalagmite.
- Heroic Sacrifice: How Spike dies during one of their last adventures. His death is the reason why Twilight stayed away from the library for so long.
- Really 700 Years Old: Each of the bearers are over 200 years old despite not looking older than their 40s
- Really Gets Around: Nearly half of the ponies in Ponville 200 years later can be directly traced to Pinkie Pie.