Seto Kaiba wakes up trapped in a room with a glass wall, and is told by his so-called host, Pegasus, that he is there to provide Pegasus with company. He soon learns others—Mokuba, Yugi and his friends—are trapped there as well, and after struggling to find out why they were all taken, his thoughts turn to escape. With no way out but cooperation, Seto struggles to find an escape while playing Pegasus's latest game.
Glass can be found here. An AU/sequel, Shattered, details a universe where everything that could go wrong did. Unlike Glass, which was more focused on mind games, Shattered features body horror and explicit violence alongside the psychological aspects and is not for the squeamish.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: For Kaiba, seeing Mokuba imprisoned along with him and being unable to do anything about it.
- The Alcatraz: The island as a whole is this for everyone trapped there, but much of Seto's time is occupied with a truly inescapable room that he can only get out of through mutual trust.
- Bittersweet Ending: By the end of Glass Pegasus is dead and everyone escaped, but they're horribly traumatized from what they've gone through.
- Bottle Episode: A majority of the story is just Seto, Pegasus, and a glass wall, with occasional looks into other characters and locations.
- Darker and Edgier: Unlike Glass, which was more focused on mind games, Shattered features body horror and explicit violence alongside the psychological aspects.
- Downer Ending: Shattered posits a world where the escape failed and goes downhill from there, with a warning that Pegasus will win completely.
- Drinking the Kool-Aid: Joey accuses Kaiba of this when he tries to get him to give in so he can get out of the dungeon.
- Enemy Mine: Kaiba plans to work with everyone, even those he personally dislikes, in order to escape. Yami Bakura and Joey feel likewise.
- The Ghost: Yami Yugi is mentioned but never seen. Yugi's goal for most of the story is to get the Puzzle back, but towards the end he finds it's been shattered and before he can complete it he's captured.
- Kill It with Fire: Seto's plan to escape is to burn down the island, knowing help will be called.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Tristan didn't go to the convention where everyone was taken, leading Duke to get kidnapped instead. Pegasus thinks of him as an outlier as a result, "the good three plus Duke" being one example.
- Recursive Fanfiction: Several other authors have written stories in Glass's world, with The Whole World Blind and Sentiments focusing on Ryou and Tea's lives during and after the story, while Shadows focuses on what Tristan was doing the whole time.
- The Reveal: Chapter 19 reveals why Pegasus imprisoned everyone. It's "revenge" for Cecelia's death and Duelist Kingdom; since they kept her dead, he's keeping them there as payment.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: While not the end of the work, in chapter 53 Seto is sent back down to the glass room, invalidating all of his progress from before.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Pegasus is counting on this developing in his guests, particularly Mokuba, Ryou, and Seto.
- Tailor-Made Prison: Kaiba's prison is truly inescapable and meant to drain his psyche, as everything he needs to live is only seen and accessed through the other side of the wall. Joey and Ryou Bakura have it even worse, being locked in the dungeons for months.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Kaiba can't stand Yugi's friends or Yami Bakura, but both parties realize they'll have to work together if they want to escape.
- Wham Episode:
- Chapters 32 and 33 have the closest Pegasus comes so far to just giving up and having everyone killed, with Mokuba unknowingly saving the day.
- Chapters 40 and 41 have Seto finally being let out of the glass room and placed with Mokuba, shaking up the status quo of the entire story and opening up many possibilities.
- Chapter 53 ends with Seto being sent back down, rendering all of his progress before null and void. Even though it only lasts for two weeks, the scare tactic works on both him and the readers.