Rachel Mariana Morgan
25 year-old Witch, former IS runner, now equal partner in the 'Vampiric Charms' freelance runner and security service that she founded with Ivy Tamwood and Jenks.
- Action Girl: Kicks ass with or without magic.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Over and over.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Rachel's relationship with most other Inderlanders.
- All Witches Have Cats: Rachel lives with a cat, though the cat technically belongs to Jenks.
- Book Dumb: Rachel, underscored by her fiery personality and aversion to authority figures. Her father intended to prevent her being taught ley line magic because it would start her down the path to becoming a fully-fledged demon.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Around Ivy.
- Drink Order: Latte with a shot of raspberry syrup.
- Fiery Redhead: Inherited from her mother.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: More so in the latter novels to the point where she gets shunned.
- She has arranged the shunning to be removed.
- Interspecies Romance: All of her relationships are this, technically, seeing as she is a demon, including Kisten (living vampire), Nick (human), and finally Trent, an elf.
- Quirky Curls: One of her defining characteristics.
- Technical Pacifist
- Thrill Seeker
- Tomato in the Mirror: She finds out she's a demon in the sixth book.
- Took a Level in Badass: Does this periodically. She starts as a simple earth witch and every other book or so learns a new type of magic to add to her arsenal. First she learns ley-line magic, then black magic, then demon magic secondhand from Ceri and now is learning it first hand from Al.
Ivy Alisha Tamwood
Living vampire, former IS runner, now equal partner in 'Vampiric Charms' freelance runner and security service with Rachel Morgan and Jenks.
- Action Girl: Goes with being a vampire, but she's also very skilled at hand-to-hand combat and deadly with a sword.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Tall, pale-skinned, dark-haired, and more reserved and aloof than her witch partner.
- Bi the Way: Has relationships with both men and women, also has a strong attraction towards Rachel.
- Biker Babe: Owns a motorcycle and often wears leather.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Around Rachel.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Courtesy of Piscary and her undead mother.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Hell-Bent for Leather
- Lesbian Vampire: Or rather, bisexual vampire. She is a rare heroic version of this trope.
- Mixed Ancestry: Her father is white while her mother is Asian.
- Rape As Back Story: At the hands of Piscary.
- Statuesque Stunner: 6 feet tall and very attractive. Rachel notes that she looks like a model.
An eighteen-year-old pixy, equal partner in 'Vampiric Charms' freelance runner and security service, together with Rachel Morgan and Ivy Tamwood. Husband of Matalina and father of dozens of pixy children, most notably Jax, Jumoke. and Jhi.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He is a lighthearted joker, but incredibly fast, and deadly.
- Fairy Companion: He serves as Rachel and Ivy's backup/sidekick, and eventually works with both Quen and Trent at various points. He is a pixy and the sworn enemy of fairies, though.
- Sweet Tooth: Around honey, to the point it gets him drunk.
- We Areas Mayflies: As a pixy, nearing the end of his life until a curse resets his lifespan, giving him another twenty years.
Trenton Aloysius Kalamack
An elven geneticist and drug manufacturer. He is the son of Kal and Trisk, as well as the father of Lucy and father figure to Ray. While initially an enemy of/annoyance to Rachel, their relationship evolves over the course of the series.
- Action Dad: After the birth of Lucy he gains this distinction, shown most obviously in Million-Dollar Baby
- Battle Couple: He eventually becomes this with Rachel although is somewhat less adept than she is.
- Interspecies Romance: He eventually falls hopelessly in love with Rachel and they wind up getting together.
- Jerkass: He starts off this way, although does get somewhat better as time goes on.
- Our Elves Are Better: Like Quen, Jonathan, and Ellasbeth, he is an elf.
- Papa Wolf: He loves his daughters very much, and will do anything up to and including murder to protect them.
Security expert and bodyguard of Kal and later Trent Kalamack. Lover of Ceri and father of Ray. He appears in the main series as well as the prequel. He is one of Trisk's best friends.
A demon who plays a prominent role in the series.
- Affectionate Nickname: Sort of affectionate, anyways. Ceri and Trisk both call him 'Gally,' while Rachel calls him 'Al.' Part of the reason for this is that a demon's full name grants power over them and allows them to be summoned, so it is only used in very specific circumstances.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Really 700 Years Old: He's somewhere around 5,000 years old.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He has creepy red eyes, with vertical pupils like a goat.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: With the help of magic, he can shapeshift into any form he chooses, a skill he uses to great effect. At various points he makes himself look like Rachel, Nick, and a giant dog, among others. He prefers to appear as a British aristocrat in a frock coat and top hat, however.
Ptah Ammon Fineas Horton Madison Parker Piscary
An Egyptian undead vampire
- Bi the Way: He has relationships with his male and female 'children,' including Kisten and Ivy.
- Off with His Head!!: He is eventually decapitated, by way of a paper cutter, by Skimmer for threatening Ivy.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's ancient. Ancient Egyptian, in fact.
Dr. Felecia Eloytrisk "Trisk" Cambri Kalamack
A brilliant geneticist, one of the best in her generation. Developer of the T4 Angel tomato, although The Turn is very much not her fault. Eventual wife of Kal and mother of Trent. She is a main character in The Turn: The Hollows Begins With Death but dies before the main series starts and is only mentioned there.
- All of the Other Reindeer: She is tormented and bullied well into adulthood because she is a dark elf, which is to say dark-haired and dark-eyed rather than blonde and green-eyed like most of the rest of her species.
- Law of Inverse Fertility: She gets pregnant following a one-night stand with someone she didn't realize she was genetically compatible with; she is also a member of a species that has a great deal of trouble conceiving.
- Our Elves Are Better: She is an elf.
- Pregnant Badass: After Kal gets her pregnant, she makes her way halfway across the U.S. in the middle of a massive pandemic, kicking ass all the way.
Dr. Trenton Lee "Kal" Kalamack
An elven geneticist from an old, wealthy family. Eventual husband of Trisk and father of Trent. While a main character in The Turn: The Hollows Begins With Death, he dies in the interim and is only mentioned in the main series.
- The Bully: He tormented Trisk all through their childhood and through college and graduate school, all because she was a dark elf from a poor, lesser-known family. Some of what he did was downright cruel.
- Fairy Companion: Well, pixy companion. Orchid the pixy serves as his confidant and essentially his only friend.
- Law of Inverse Fertility: He gets Trisk pregnant after a one-night stand. Elves have a great deal of trouble conceiving so it was very unexpected.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: He is ultimately responsible for The Turn, which is to say a plague that wiped out a huge portion of humanity and led to all of the Inderland species coming out of the closet. The fact that his motivation was essentially professional jealously doesn't make it a whole lot better.
- Our Elves Are Better: He is an elf, and dedicated to saving his species, although he does not always do so in the most ethical of ways.
Ivy Tamwood's sister. Even though she has a different surname as Ivy, she is not Ivy's half-sister. To continue each parent's line, Ivy was given their mother's surname and Erica was given their father's.