For the main character index, go here.
An Illyrian pirate who aids Phedre during Kushiel's Chosen.
Tropes applying to Kazan:
- Accidental Murder: Accidentally killed his younger brother Daroslav.
- Cain and Abel: Accidental example. Daroslav dressed in Serenissiman armor for a surprise attack, but Kazan mistook him for a Serenissiman & killed him. Kazan's mother was unaware of the exact circumstances & cursed Kazan for killing his brother.
- Curse: Kazan's mother lays a blood curse upon him for killing his brother. It takes the form of a demon called a kriavbhog, which will consume his soul if he ever sets foot in Epidauro.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He once held an important position in the Ban's guard. This ended when he accidentally killed his brother, which caused his mother to curse him. Kazan had to flee Epidauro & ended up becoming a pirate.
- The Exile: Is unable to set foot in Epidauro due to his blood curse.
- Mistaken for Betrayal: Kazan's men are captured when he sends them to Marsilikos with Phedre's message. He agrees to hand her over to Prince Benedicte's men in exchange for their freedom. Justified in that Phedre didn't tell him Benedicte was a traitor & he understandably thought she would be safe with him.
- Pirate: He is a notorious Illyrian pirate who menaces Serenissiman ships. The Serenissimans put a large bounty on his head.
- Sex for Services: He promises to help Phedre if she'll sleep with him.
- Sympathetic Murder Backstory: See Cain and Abel.