Ask Phd Pokémon is a Pokemon Ask Blog styled web series written and illustrated by Chokoron. Taking place starting in 1969 and working it's way through the 1970's, the blog follows the lives of both the Faculty and Student body in Virbank State University though much of the stories will follow the characters in their lives outside of the school and frequently displays their lives throughout the city of Virbank itself, a cold north-eastern Port city based off Portland, Maine with the entire state being based off Maine itself. The characters are frequently faced with hurdles most experience in college and early adulthood in both the modern age and the late 60's.
Ask-phd-pokemon contains examples of the following tropes:
- Canada, Eh?: There are many characters of Canadian origin but none of them stand out like Alina. Though she might not fit EVERY part of the trope (she isn't particularly nice).
- Disco: Much of the blogs soundtrack and also a favored music genre by a number of characters, notably Simon, Marie, and Marion.
- Eyelid Pull Taunt: You can always count on Ciel to find new ways to stick her tongue out◊.
- Nerds Are Sexy: The general consensus of the student body's feelings towards Louvel Labelle
- Red Scare: Unovians are brainwashed by their local media into fearing what has long since passed as a threat. This doesn't stop Abby and Marion from living in fear of the red menace, however.
- Second Place Is for Losers: At least, in Charlie's eyes it is. Especially when that means having only the SECOND best GPA in the school. Second only to Lauren.
- Surprisingly Good English: Louvel, Lauren, and Marion are all native French speakers and only speak English as a second language. But one would never guess until they actually spoke up about it.