08:21:13 AM Sep 8th 2015
Does anyone else think that this page is starting to get just a bit ridiculous? It seems to be listing any instance where a pair of actors have worked together more than once, even if it's pure coincidence and they're not particularly well known for appearing together. The trope by its description seems to be geared toward well-known screen pairings like Bogart-Bacall, Flynn-de Havilland, or Tracy-Hepburn, not "these two actors have been in more than one movie together".
08:04:32 PM Feb 2nd 2012
- Cyd Charisse was paired several times each with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.
06:32:05 PM Feb 2nd 2012
edited by captainpat
edited by captainpat
This page has a bad case of One Word Examples. I'm putting examples that need more contexts here for repairs. If you're gonna re-add any examples then make sure to include the movies these actor appear together in. It's doesn't have to be all of them but enough to prove the point of this trope.
- Referenced in Moving Pictures, in regards to Victor and Ginger.
- Ant and Dec.
- Groucho Marx and Margaret Dumont
- Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland.
- Robert Redford and Paul Newman.
- Robert Redford and Jane Fonda.
- Claudia Black and Ben Browder, though that could have been entirely accidental.
- Charles Bronson and James Coburn.
- Bette Davis and Claude Rains.
- Tim Conway and Harvey Korman.
- Tim Conway and Don Knotts.
- Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise.
- Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly (with Adam McKay directing).
- Television example: Bill Cosby and Phylicia Rashad.
- As of the new Revolutionary Road adaptation, Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Chris Farley and David Spade.
- Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello.
- Disney attempted this in the late 1960s with John Davidson and Lesley Ann Warren.
- Bud Spencer and Terence Hill.
- Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder.
- Mel Gibson and Rene Russo, at least a couple of times. Started with Lethal Weapon 3.
- Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau.
- Doris Day and Rock Hudson are a well-known example, despite only making 3 movies together (which all also starred Tony Randall).
- John Travolta and Uma Thurman. In fact, a scene of them dancing together was one of the most-hyped parts of Be Cool.
- Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves.
- Arguably Reeves and Charlize Theron.
- Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.
- John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.
- Cary Grant and Irene Dunne.
- Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.
- Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding.
- Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh. (The director in question often being, though not always, Branagh himself.)
- From the Live-Action Adaptation of Death Note, Tatsuya Fujiwara and Kenichi Matsuyama are together again in The Movie of Kaiji.
- Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung.
- Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland - mostly because she was one of the few women who could put up with him, but they also had fantastic chemistry and were actually very good friends.
- Richard Gere and Diane Lane
- Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney
- Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalban
- Corey Haim and Corey Feldman.
- Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster.
- Clint Eastwood and Sondra Locke.
- Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon.
- Paul Newman and his wife Joanne Woodward.
- Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie (before Laurie played House).
- Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum.
- David Mitchell and Robert Webb.
- Brazilian actors Lázaro Ramos and Wagner Moura.
- Frank Vincent and Vincent Pastore. This there any straight-to-video action film where these two don't show up in?
- Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton
- Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman clicked in Sherlock, but with the news that both will appear in The Hobbit (as antagonists - Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, Cumberbatch as Smaug the dragon / the Necromancer), it seems like they're heading toward this trope.
- Not screen actors, but Steve Blum and Wendee Lee seem to have a lot of gigs together.
- Taye Diggs and Sanaa Lathan in the late 90s/early 00s
- Laurence Fishburne and Angela Bassett
- Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake.
- Clark Gable and Jean Harlow
- Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.
- Richard Gere and Julia Roberts.
- Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.
- Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey.
- Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.
03:33:25 PM Jul 23rd 2010