- Awesome Music - Unreal series
- Breather Level: Serpent Canyon, which comes right after the enemy-infested labyrinth that is Cellars at Dasa Pass. It's mostly an automatic stroll on a boat from the start to the end of a river within said canyon, so you can feel free to enjoy the sky of Na Pali at dawn. The few enemies present are way easier to deal with than what a weary player's gotten used to in Dasa, and even the music is low-key and relaxing.
- Epileptic Trees: The fan theories about what exactly the Player Character did in order to be imprisoned for tend to zig-zag around this trope. While they can get quite outlandish at times, they also have a kernel of truth in them: they almost always include the character committing atrocities of some sort. This is justified, since the translators logs in Vortex Rikers show that the prisoners are quite vicious, and the ship also has an execution chamber for them. In other words, they probably weren't locked up for mere traffic infractions.
- Goddamned Bats:
- You'd have to really suck to be killed by the tiny, spider-like Pupae, but they sure are annoying (primarily because their hitboxes are so narrow that it's really hard to kill them once they get close, which they invariably do).
- Another example from the expansion pack: Pack Hunters, which border on Demonic Spiders. One of the fastest-moving enemies in the game, they can corner and kill an unprepared player very quickly.
- Tear Jerker: Some of the translator logs.
- One particularly poignant example is the story of some of the ISV Kran survivors that unfolds over several levels, starting in "The Trench". In "The Sunspire", you find a dead team who were looking for a captured crewmate. One of the dead crewmen appears to be her boyfriend. Later, at "Bluff Eversmoking", you find another dead search party. From Krall jailer logs lying about the monastery, you discover that she was being held there but the Nali helped her to escape, but in the end you find her dead in the bell tower. This makes the story of the Kran's crew something of a Shoot the Shaggy Dog.
YMMV / Unreal I