- Archive Panic: Sure, they might have only six studio albums, one live album, and an EP (in addition to a few B-sides here and there), but since bootlegging is encouraged at their shows, almost every concert they've ever played can be easily downloaded. The result? Several dozen gigabytes of MP3 files to hear all of their live material. Necessary for completionists because they frequently mutate improvised sections into new songs, and even those that aren't reused still kick ass.
- Broken Base: not very prevalent actually but there are certain fans who will argue over the better drummer was Pridgen or Theodore, it's almost certain that Elitch will be a topic of argument.
- Elitch was apparently only a temporary drummer, and he's been replaced by Deantoni Parks, someone the fans can all pretty much agree is a good fit (because really).
- Do not ever start the debate over which is better: De-Loused or Frances the Mute. Odds are you'll get several page-long arguments.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The bass intro and guitar/saxophone duel from "Day Of The Baphomets" probably count.
- The entire albums of Deloused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute qualify, but special mention goes to the 32 minute end track on Frances the Mute, "Cassandra Gemini."
- Crowning Moment of Funny: The music video for Goliath has the band not even trying to play along with the song. Highlights include Omar playing a violin and the song stopping halfway through because a car was coming through their set.
- Epileptic Trees: it's rumoured that "Zed And Two Naughts" is their swan song and that they'll break up. Harsher in Hindsight when you consider that when Omar announced the band's hiatus, he stated that he is unsure if the band will ever reunite. Made WORSE when it was announced the band was splitting up following disagreements between Omar and Cedric.
- Face of the Band: Omar and Cedric, but justified that it is explicitly stated in the liner notes for Amputechture that they are The Mars Volta and that the rest of the band are part of The Mars Volta Group.
- Recently Omar has stated that he wants to make The Mars Volta more of a democracy.
- Ho Yay: Honestly Omar and Cedric are very guilty of this.
- It's gotten to the point where Omar acknowledged it in an interview
- Jump Scare: On Frances the Mute, every song transitions into the next via ambient soundscapes that can last up to a full minute. The final song, "Cassandra Gemini", simple starts full-blast in the middle of the final ambient segue.
- Love It or Hate It: Just the band's output as a whole, really.
- Magnum Opus: Generally considered to be Deloused in the Comatorium, though many would nominate Frances the Mute as well.
- Mondegreen: From Conjugal Burns: I GOT A PENIS THAT'LL RIP THROUGH THE VERY FABRIC OF TIME, TIME, TIME, TIME...
- Most Annoying Sound: Scabdates opens with a baby screaming.
- Nightmare Fuel
- Tear Jerker: "Televators", as well as a few other tracks on Deloused. Kind of inevitable when the album is about suicide.
- True Art Is Incomprehensible