Tropers Online: 3,394
[ Login for more options ]
|These are what we call the 'YMMV items.' Things that some people find in this work. We call them 'your mileage might vary' because not everyone sees these things in the same way. This starts discussions in the trope lists, a thing we don't want. Please use the discussion page if you'd like to discuss any of these items.|
YMMV: The Call of Cthulhu
- Narm: While the colorful and vividly grotesque descriptions of various nightmares, alien cities and otherworldly horrors are indeed powerful, it loses a bit of its punch when we see the narrator describe almost every non-caucasian in the exact same way.
- There's this great buildup describing Cthulhu, the grotesque Eldritch Horror... that "flopped" onto the beach. Flop. While Cthulhu is terrifying the word choice evokes laughter.
- Also that the great Cthulhu was thwarted by a boat to the head.
- Lovecraft describes Cthulhu emerging under a "gibbous sky", a phrase that makes no sense whatsoever, since "gibbous" is the moon phase between half and full.
- Paranoia Fuel: The cult still lives, and now you know too much.