YMMV: The Big Lebowski
These tropes are just like... uh... your opinion, man.
- Alternative Character Interpretation:
- Depending on how you see Donny, he's either a figment of Walter's imagination, since The Dude only talks to him once, a figment of both the Dude and Walter's imagination or to put it simply, a real person who gets ignored.
- Let's not forget Walter himself. He's either a gun-nut who's never been to the 'Nam, or his behavior is because his friends died there. Or perhaps, it was because of his divorce.
- Awesome Music:
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: "Gutterballs", and the introduction to Maude's friend, Knox Harrington "the video artist". Even the Dude is confused himself ("Who the fuck is this guy?")
- Crazy Awesome: Walter.
- Crosses the Line Twice:
- Cult Classic: The movie's reception upon release was mixed, with a solid budget return for the film's relatively small budget (only $15 million!). However, we can thank...
- "The Little Lebowski Urban Achievers. And proud we are of all of them."
- Not to mention the fact that the movie spawned an entire religion.
- Drinking Game: The Lebowski Challenge: Every time the Dude drinks a White Russian, you drink a White Russian. Every time the Dude does a J, you do a J. And if you're truly insane, every time The Dude does a substance, you do that substance. This is similar to the first game listed, except you also have to roofie yourself two-thirds of the way through the movie.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Jesus "The Jesus" Quintana.
- Fountain of Memes: This movie is insanely quotable.
- Genius Bonus: The Dude refers to White Russians as "Caucasians" because "Caucasian" is synonymous with both "White" and "Russian"; it can refer to someone who is ethnically European, or to someone from the Caucasus region of Eastern Europe (most of which is encompassed by present-day Russia).
- Harsher in Hindsight: The check the Dude writes in the opening scene is dated September 11th, and during the same scene, George H. W. Bush is giving his "this will not stand" speech in regard to the Gulf War.
- Heartwarming Moments: Not many in this film, but there's a small one just before the final fight with the nihilists, when Donnie is frightened and Walter, for once in his life, takes a break from berating him to say that he's not going to let anybody hurt him.
- The Dude hugging it out with Walter after Donny's funeral may also count, as well as Walter's eulogy. The first half, anyway.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: On the rich Lebowski's wall is a mirror mocked up to look like a TIME Magazine "Person of the Year" cover with the caption "Are you a Little Lebowski Urban Achiever?" In 2006, TIME Magazine's POTY was "You" and the cover was a mirror.
- I Am Not Shazam:
- Memetic Badass: Walter. He get away pointing a gun at a man in a bowling alley or destroying a car and let's not forget he bit a nihilist's ear off.
- Memetic Molester: "No, he's a sex offender. With a record."
- Memetic Mutation: The whole thing. The line "The Dude abides" in particular.
- Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?
- "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
- Walter's scene with his Colt 1911 is rather popular. It's frequently edited into a image macro, titled "Am I The Only One Who-".
- "I don't roll on Shabbos!" is particularly popular among Jewish fans of the film.
- "It really tied the room together."
- "Am I the only one around here who..."
- "Donny, you're out of your element !"
- "I hate the fucking Eagles man!"
- Strawman Has a Point: Mr. Lebowski is a jerk...however, he is technically correct that he had nothing to do with the damage to The Dude's rug, and does not owe him a new one.
- Unpopular Popular Character: "Forget it, Donny! You're out of your element!"
- Vindicated by History: The film garnered mixed critical reception and meager box office sales in theaters; on home video, it became a comedy classic.
- Wangst: Everyone in this movie complains too much about their problems. But no one could match up to the sheer whining that the nihilists gave when they are trying to confront the Dude, Walter and Donny.
"His girlfriend cut off her toe!""She thought ve be getting million dollars, Lebowski!""Is not fair!"
- The Woobie: It's hard not to feel at least a little bad for the Dude.
"All the Dude wanted was his rug back."
- Donny also qualifies.