- Alternate Character Interpretation: Is monstrous-Pretorius a human sadist endowed with Body Horror powers by the "beyond", or a native shapechanging entity from the unseen realm which assimilated Pretorius's mind (and perversions) when it ate the real Pretorius?
- Evil Is Sexy: Katherine putting on the fetish wear is emblematic of her beginning to be corrupted by the resonator.
- Narm: "It ate him... bit off his head... like a gingerbread man!"
- Nightmare Fuel: This is based off Lovecraft after all, and Came Back Wrong Praetorius is every bit the gory abomination that The Thing was.
- Squick: All of Pretorius forms... the movie spares no expense in showing off how gross his transformations can get - they rival The Thing for sheer Nausea Fuel.
- Too Cool to Live: Bubba dies about two-thirds into the film, despite being the most level-headed of the trio.
- The Woobie: Tillinghast — at least until his feeding frenzy.