YMMV: Dragon Quest
- Complete Monster: Bishop Ladja; Mortamor; Rhapthorne.
- Demonic Spiders: Lots of examples, particularly enemies that are immune to magic, can One-Hit Kill you, cast Sleep, Healmore/Midheal, and/or Hurtmore/Firebane/Sizzle (Wizards), inflict poison or other Standard Status Effects, and have high defense or speed stats (which makes them dodge and block you a lot, eg Demon Knights).
- Hell Is That Noise: Put a piece of cursed equipment on, or have a save file erased in one of the NES games for failing to hold down the reset button while turning the power off, and you get treated to a creepy low-volume Scare Chord.
- Memetic Mutation: "I can CAST A SPELL!"
- "A Slime approaches. Command?_"
- Most Wonderful Sound: The level up theme.
- The Scrappy: As stated above, Charmles may very well be the most hated character in the entire series. He pronounces his name "Charm-LAY", but many DQ8 fans have much less kind names to use for him.
- Sidetracked by the Gold Saucer: The various casinos.