The Visual Novel and Anime:
- Angst Aversion: It's a Key anime, so what would you expect?
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Summer Lights the calming, peaceful piano song that plays when Misuzu first shows up
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: The monks who cursed Kanna got away with it and caused Misuzu to break down whenever she gets close to someone, no one manages to break the curse, and at the end, Misuzu dies. Many detractors from Air will say that nothing ever happens in the entire series.
- Deader Than Disco: Goes hand-in-hand with It Was His Sled, as its Signature Scene was Misuzu's death at the very end.
- Harsher in Hindsight: On June 9, 2011, Tomoko Kawakami, the voice actress for Misuzu, passed away from ovarian cancer, therefore making it even harder to watch the final episodes.
- It Was His Sled: Anyone even remotely familiar with AIR will tell you that Misuzu dies. Especially its haters.
- Mainstream Obscurity: Far more people know that Misuzu dies than have actually watched the show.
- Moe: Par for the course.
- Moral Event Horizon: The Buddhist Monks crossed this line when they placed a curse on the Kannabi No Mikoto that extends to the next lives which is pretty much "If you fall in love, you die". Because she left the temple she was supposed to guard just so she can see her mother.
- Oh, and killing her to top it off as well.
- You know that tearjerker page? They caused that. That's how far they went with just one action a thousand years in the past.
- And the worst part is that they got away with it.
- The Scrappy: The Monks, for a good reason.
- Misuzu can also be this for those who dislike Air, because of her voice, breakdowns, and crying scenes which look ugly to them.
- Epic Riff: They have quite a few - "Sexy Boy", "Kelly Watch the Stars", "Playground Love"...
- First Installment Wins: Kinda sucks having your first album be the most acclaimed...
- Sophomore Slump: 10.000 Hz Legend, their second album (minus reissues and soundtracks) was less well-received than Moon Safari.