The Visual Novel and Anime:
- Angst Aversion: It's a Key anime, so what would you expect?
- Audience-Alienating Premise: Do you really want to watch Misuzu die a slow, painful, and tragic death?
- Awesome Music:
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy:
- Because of Misuzu's heartbreaking death, many detractors from Air will say that nothing ever happens in the entire series.
- Although in truth, its stated in the game and very heavily implied in the anime that the curse is broken, and that Misuzu's reincarnation will get to have the happy life she deserves. It is, however, harder to be happy about an implied Hope Spot when the characters the audience has grown to love still do not get happy endings.
- Harsher in Hindsight: On June 9, 2011, Tomoko Kawakami, the voice actress for Misuzu, passed away from ovarian cancer, therefore making it even harder to watch the final episodes.
- Inferred Holocaust: How many people got attached to Kanna's reincarnations, which caused her curse to kill both of them?
- It Was His Sled: Anyone even remotely familiar with AIR will tell you that Misuzu dies. Especially its haters.
- Mainstream Obscurity: Far more people know that Misuzu dies than have actually watched the show.
- Memetic Loser: Misuzu will forever be remembered for only one thing: dying at the end.
- Mis-blamed: The Buddhist monks only cursed Kanna into a eternity of roaming the sky, but they didn't directly cast the curse of constantly reincarnating and dying. In fact, they might not have even been aware of the consequences of the spell, as it was later implied that even the good monks who helped Uraha and Ryuya didn't have that much knowledge of the angels despite being their protectors. The curse that plagued Misuzu was a different curse that Kanna inherited from her mother, and Misuzu died because angel spirits are too powerful to be kept in human souls
- The Scrappy:
- Misuzu can also be this for those who dislike Air, because of her voice, breakdowns, and crying scenes which look ugly to them.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Face it, Minagi, Kano, and Yukito get thrown away and never referenced again.
- Epic Riff: They have quite a few - "Sexy Boy", "Kelly Watch the Stars", "Playground Love"...
- First Installment Wins: Kinda sucks having your first album be the most acclaimed...
- Sophomore Slump: 10.000 Hz Legend, their second album (minus reissues and soundtracks) was less well-received than Moon Safari.