(1959-1992) was an American Professional Wrestler
from St. Petersburg, Florida
as "Mad Dog" Buzz Sawyer
. He was, as should be evident, known for his crazy antics. He primarily competed for various National Wrestling Alliance
territories in the Southeast (Georgia, Florida, Alabama) but also in the Pacific Northwest promotion in Portland
and in Vancouver
, as well as for World Class Championship Wrestling in Dallas, the World Wrestling Council in Puerto Rico, for New Japan Pro Wrestling
, All Japan Pro Wrestling
and for WCW
. Among his in-ring achievements, he was a World Class Television Champion
, an NWA Southeastern Television Champion
and an NWA National Heavyweight Champion
. He died of a drug overdose on February 7, 1992 at the age of 32.
As usual, you can find the basics about his life and career at The Other Wiki
"Mad Dog Tropes":
- Animal Motif
- Arch-Enemy: TOMMY RICH, for starters. They had an epic, bloody feud in Georgia. The Road Warriors, after Buzz left the Legion of Doom.
- Bald of Evil
- Bash Brothers: With his brother Brett, Matt Borne, Kevin Sullivan
- Beard of Evil
- Chained by Fashion
- Downer Ending: His death at the age of 32.
- Early Installment Weirdness: When he began wrestling he was a clean cut, slender babyface with a full head of curly hair.
- Finishing Move: Powerslam
- Hard Head: While attending Dixie Hollins High School, where he was on the wrestling team, he would hammer nails with his forehead at half time during the football games.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: His one and only PPV appearance - him and Kevin Sullivan defeating the Dynamic Dudes (Shane Douglas and Johnny Ace) at WCW WrestleWar 90, February 25, 1990 - was not included on the VHS release.
- From Bad to Worse: No footage exists of his most famous match, the "Last Battle of Atlanta" cage match against Rich from November 24, 1983, because, depending on the source, either Ole Anderson threw out all the footage from the classic shows at the Omni or the promotion simply taped over it.
- Laughing Mad: Oh gosh, just watch this clip. It's the same one used for Noodle Incident on Sullivan's page. Buzz starts ranting about muscleheads and truck drivers before he completely loses track of whatever point he was trying to make and goes back to laughing.
- One Mario Limit: WWE renamed him "Bulldog" Buzz Sawyer because Mad Dog Vachon was in the promotion at the time.
- Power Stable:
- Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness in Florida
- The Legion of Doom in Georgia
- The Pringle Dynasty
- The J-Tex Corporation in 1989-1990 NWA/WCW, with Terry Funk, the Great Muta and Dragon Master (Kendo Nagasaki) and led by "Playboy" Gary Hart.
- Sullivan's Slaughterhouse, with Kevin Sullivan and Cactus Jack.
- Punny Name: "Buzz Saw-yer," anyone?
- Wrestling Family: His brother Brett and son Travis.