- The final line of chapter 11 of Watchmen.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Did you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there was the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago.
- Also while Nite Owl and Rorschach are looking through Ozymandias' office for clues about who might be targeting heroes, having been unable to speak with Ozymandias themselves.
Nite Owl: Rorschach, I think we're in bad trouble. The person behind this, the person we're up against... I think it's Adrian.
Comedian: "Jesus Christ Sally, can't a guy talk to his, y'know, his old friend's daughter?" The wham line comes when the listener realizes the reason for the stutter is because he didn't intend to say "old friend" at all.
- A bit less dramatic, but there is a part in Under The Hood where Hollis is talking about reading Action Comics as a kid, and mentions Superman, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen. He then says "Of course, all of these old characters are gone and forgotten now."
- One Hundred Bullets #91: "Rothstein is dead. The connection is cut. No more attaches, no more revenge, no more hundred bullets. Graves' game is over."
- Cerebus: "Something fell..." The second time this line is spoken, you experience the author's schizoid break. Wham.
- Transmetropolitan: One percent.
- Blackest Night: Thaal Sinestro of Korugar. Destiny awaits.
- Planetary: "I'm the Fourth Man."
- House of M: "No more mutants."
- Avengers vs. X-Men: "No more Phoenix."
- The Punisher
- Wolverine in X-Men 138: The Hellfire Club defeats the X-men, and Wolverine gets mass-increased until he crashes through the floor and winds up deep underground. He rises from the sewer, livid, and utters the line that changes him from secondary character into cult figure...
- The Amazing Spider-Man #248, "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man." "You see, Tim has leukemia and the doctors give him only a few weeks to live."
- Another Spider-Man example with a huge impact on the entire mythos and which comes as a revelation not just to the readers, but to the protagonist as well, from The Amazing Spider-Man #257:
Mary Jane: You don't have to make up another one of your phony excuses, Peter! Not now—! I know the truth! The real truth!
Peter: What are you talking about?
Mary Jane: I've known your secret for years! Up until now, I've always thought I could cope with it if I ever had to experience it firsthand — but I can't! I can't! I just can't cope with the fact that Peter Parker is secretly Spider-Man!
- And then, of course, there's the two words that, if avoided, could have saved a storyline: "Do it.".
- From The Amazing Spider-Man #698: "No... I'm Peter Parker."
- From Superior Spider-Man #19: "Gentlemen, I give you Alchemax. Long may she stand."
- Batman The Long Halloween: "I am Holiday."
- Also, "You both know, don't you? There were two Holiday Killers."
- X-Men #300
- Young Avengers/Runaways Civil War: I want you to die.
- A few from the Chick Tracts:
- The Letter: "Mildred... didn't you hear? Saturday night Frances and Paul's car skidded in the rain and they hit a tree. John's still alive but Frances died instantly."
- Baby Talk: "She's not there. Thelma took her to the clinic. They left an hour ago."
- The Trial: "When Annie told me I should ask Jesus into my heart, I did!"
- Scott Pilgrim has two in book 5:
Knives: He cheated on us, Ramona. Both of us.
: (to Scott)
Good job. Great. You actually made me think that you were a decent person. But you're just another evil ex
waiting to happen, aren't you?
- In book 6, when Scott talks to Kim about the past, and she reveals that he's only been a hero in his own mind, and is in fact a huge asshole:
Kim: Simon? The guy from high school? You beat the crap out of him and said we should date. He was 5 feet tall and didn't stand a chance.
- Preacher: Mom?
- "Herr Starr? Your time is up, Herr Starr."
- "And that was how they killed him, covered in the ashes of his dearest friend."
- Batman and Robin #12: "They're all jokes."
- The Sandman: "He's going to have to kill her."
- "I've quit."
- "Take my hand."
- "I have to kill my son."
- "Judith — she's my twin sister — she once joked that if I died, he'd just write a play about it. 'Hamnet.'"
- War of the Green Lanterns: "Thaal Sinestro of Korugar. You have the ability to overcome great fear. You have been chosen. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."
- Green Lantern #12: "Hal Jordan will become the greatest Black Lantern."
- Suicide Squad: "Frank Rock died in 1945."
- This one's especially painful. It was supposed to kick off a new story arc, but the series was cancelled prematurely, which caused it to be the last line in the series.
- Flashpoint: "What did I do? Oh, Barry. My idol. My inspiration. That's the beauty of all this madness. I didn't do anything. Not a thing. You see, it turns out... You're the villain today."
- Marvel 2099: "Thor is dead. I know. I was there."
- Incredible Hulk #600: "The Good Doctor is out. The Bad Doctor is in."
- Animal Man #15: "I can see you!"
- The last page of Ex Machina #1: "If I were a real hero, I would've been in time to stop the first plane."
- X-Men's Messiah Complex is practically built on this.
Lady Deathstrike: "Come to me, children. Come to Deathstrike."
Wolverine: "Negative. The Marauders don't have the baby. One of our side has her. An X-Man took her from Cooperstown."
Cyclops: "Charles, you trained me, Let me do my job."
Also from Cyclops: "Assemble X-Force."
Future Mutant: "Yeah. You'll live. Leastways...until something else kills you." Full page showing Cable shot and Bishop aiming at the mutant baby.
Mystique: "I've always been good with children."
Rockslide: "We deserve a piece of the ac—...tion? I take it back."
- Oh god, Runaways.
Alex: "I just have to do one thing first."
Karolina: "What's that?"
Alex: "Tell you how sorry I am. Really."
Xavin: "Chase... ran away. I believe he had a disagreement with Nico about what to do with Gert's body."
"Astounding. I anticipated your defeat of Doom, yet I was 99% certain you would be unable to damage him badly enough to uncover that he was merely one of my androids. Truly, you are my greatest creation."
- The Dark Knight Strikes Again
Batman: [to the New Joker] So... it's you. I changed the abort code the night I fired you... Dick Grayson.
Mysterio: MYSTERIO AVATAR ACTIVATED.
Ultimate Mysterio: Mysterio avatar activated.
- In the Everything Burns crossover between The Mighty Thor and Journey into Mystery
Surtur's Herald: Leah of Hel knows his (Loki's) character better than her own.
- Kingdom Come:
- Swamp Thing: "He isn't Alec Holland. He never will be Alec Holland. He never was Alec Holland."
- Excalibur #80:
- My Little Pony Micro Series: Interestingly it wasn't "I'm Jade Singer" but rather Twilight's response of "I know." The story provides a neat twist on the typical "bitter old celebrity who has gone into seclusion" plot and plays with the Genre Savvy readers who can tell where the story is heading from early on.
- Aquaman: "In a fit of rage, seeking revenge, Aquaman killed Black Manta's father".
- BIONICLE issue 15: "You are not the first Toa".
- As the run that pretty much reshaped the X-Men's canon, Grant Morrison's New X-Men naturally has a few.
Fantomex: "And it's Weapon Ten, not X."
- Secret Avengers has one by the end of the fifth issue.
Forson: I never thought I'd live to see the day.
: Mockingbird's dead. And so are you.
- Y: The Last Man: There's quite a number of them.
- The aftermath of what happened in Hong Kong.
Dr. Mann: We repaired what we could but I'm afraid motherhood isn't an option anymore.
- Book 10, Whys And Wherefores are full of them, with the most notable one...
Yorick, the 17th: He escaped...
- Sonic the Comic Issue #82 has this line from the Kintobor computer;
Kintobor computer: Amy, I'm picking up really wacky readings from the Star Post!
- From Hunger
Galactus/Gah Lak Tus fusion:: Galactus... HUNGERS!
- From Paperinik New Adventures:
Evronian Scientist:"The Emperor will keep his promise! You can count on it Doctor Xari!"
- Knights of the Old Republic:
Elbee: "That was not the Mandalorian that broke my hand."
- When Rohlan Dyre returned from picking up the unconscious Demagol, his weight was 17 kilos lower. And has not been seen taking off his helmet during the following 37 issues.
- Dark Times: In "A Spark Remains", Beyghor Sahdett convinces the group to try and assassinate Darth Vader. Dass Jennir eventually agrees and brings Kai Hudorra in:
Hudorra: You know he's lying, don't you, Jennir?
Dass: Yes. I've known for some time. But I also know his reputation with a lightsaber. I knew I couldn't take him myself.
- In The New 52 version of WonderWoman: BOOM.
- Wolverine Vol. 2 issue #75: "SCHLUNK!" The sound of bone claws tearing through Wolverine's skin.
- Anya's Ghost:
"We're looking for a murder by a person named Emily Reilly
- Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog
Nicole: "Stop it?"
Eggman: "Fix it?"
Both: "It's too late!"
*world blows up*
Will you state your name for the record? Matt Murdock:
Absolutely. My name is Daredevil
- Transformers: More than Meets the Eye: Throughout the Shadowplay arc, there's been an unnamed Senator helping Orion Pax. At the end of the storyline, he's arrested by the corrupt senate and taken to The Institute. Two guards are talking about what's being done to him, and then we get this.
Guard: What's his name?
Guard 2: Senator Shockwave.
- Issue 16: "That was a bad fall. Need a hand?" - Pharma.
- Issue 18:
Minimus Ambus: I was born Minimus Ambus. I am Minimus Ambus. But you all know me - you've always known me - as Ultra Magnus.
- Identity Crisis #6:
Zatanna: NAMTAB POTS!
- Infinite Crisis #1:
looks up to you
. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight
. But they need to be inspired
. And let's face it, "Superman
"... the last time you really inspired anyone
— was when you were dead
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
: Please Harry
, we're your friends!
- Dark Victory: "Nine of you are safe."
Mr. Kojima: In fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd think I was back in Tokyo, in my youth watching my favorite television adventure program.
- Hellboy In Hell: "Haven't you heard? Someone went down there and cut his throat."