Western Animation / Watch My Chops
Watch My Chops
(also known as Corneil et Bernie
and Corneil & Bernie
in France and the USA respectively) is an animated television series
about Corneil, a highly intelligent dog who can talk, and Bernie, his dimwitted pet-sitter.
Corneil downplays his intelligence in front of his owners, John and Beth, so he can continue living as their spoilt and pampered pet, but his plans go awry when Bernie discovers that he can talk. Bernie agrees to keep Corneil's secret
, but often takes advantage of knowing about his true nature. Despite this, they become close friends, and Corneil often helps Bernie out with his superior intelligence.Watch My Chops
was produced, written and animated by Millimages
, a French animation and production studio. The English dub was done at The Sound Company Studios
in London. It aired on France 3 in France, on CBBC
in the UK, and on Nicktoons
in the USA. Only two seasons were initially produced (they were merged as one season in the UK run) with twenty-six episodes each.
The show was revived in 2014, with the new episodes being created by using Flash animation. While they were dubbed into English, the new episodes have only been shown in France and Australia.
Tropes from this show include:
- Butt Monkey: Bernie. Not that he doesn't deserve it sometimes, mind you.
- Catch Phrase:
Corneil: Watch my chops!
- Cats Are Mean:
- In one episode, Corneil's owners take in a stray cat that frames Corneil for it's own misdeed. Some alleycats then attack Corneil and Bernie, while the cat escapes.
- Another episode has a cat picking on Corneil, and the two of them start fighting.
- The Cameo: In Who Said That, when Corneil and Bernie go to the animal shelter, you'll notice the elephant from Sixty-Four Zoo Lane and Pablo The Little Red Fox behind them. Both shows were also produced by Milimages.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Bernie, Uncle Rico, and Beth all have blue hair.
- Secret Keeper: Bernie is the only one who knows that Corneil is highly intelligent and able to talk.
- Smart Animal, Average Human: The intelligent talking dog Corneil and his Book Dumb but competent dog-sitter Bernie. This show gives the trope image and the theme song is the page quote.