The Dirdy Birdy (1994) is an animated short created by John R. Dilworth, creator of Courage the Cowardly Dog. It features a dimwitted bird name Purdy who falls in love with a cat named Fergurina. The short consists of Purdy trying to win Fergurina's affections (by showing his backside of all things) and getting rejected (and pummeled) in the process.It can be seen here.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Fergurina unsurprisingly doesn't appreciate a bird constantly mooning her to show his affection.
- Big Eyes, Little Eyes: Fergurina's eyes take up the majority of her head.
- Cats Are Mean: Fergurina. Though to be fair she was just minding her own business until Purdy showed up.
- Determinator: Purdy doesn't give up.
- Disappeared Dad: In the redux, we learn that Purdy's father left him and his mother years ago... but not before mooning his son!
- Freudian Excuse: In the redux, it's revealed Purdy moons people because just before his dad left his family, he mooned Purdy.
- Gonk: Purdy as seen by the page image. It's a common thing for Dilworth's cartoon apparently.
- Interspecies Romance: Defied as Purdy does not win the girl... not like it was going to happen.
- Kill It with Fire: One of the many ways Fergurina tries to get rid of Purdy.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold/Pet the Dog: Fergurina, considering she beat up the Grim Reaper to rescue Purdy from death.
- Mooning: This is Purdy's idea of showing affection. He got it from his father.
- Nightmare Face: Purdy and Fergurina both exchange these while laughing.
- Public Domain Soundtrack: The music used for Purdy's theme was used later in SpongeBob SquarePants when they used the tickle belt.