Western Animation: Space Stars
Hanna-Barbera produced this hourlong Animated Anthology for NBC in the early 1980s. Along with new adventures for Space Ghost and The Herculoids, Space Stars featured two new segments:
- Teen Force: Elektra (telepathy, telekinesis, teleportation), Kid Comet (super speed, could travel through time at max speed), and Moleculad (could rearrange his molecules to shape-shift), accompanied by The Unintelligible Astro-Mites, continually opposed Uglor and his plans for galactic conquest. Kid Comet and Space Ghost's sidekick Jan seemed to be dating.
- Astro and the Space Mutts: The Jetsons' pet was now one of a Comic Trio of space patrol dogs. They were usually more hindrance than help to Space Ace (no, not that one), their mustachioed master.
This series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Elektra didn't shy away from danger.
- Action Mom: Tara.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Apparently, this universe has an abundance of air in space, because no one even bothers with helmets, let alone space suits. Zandor once rode into space with Space Ghost without so much as putting on a shirt.
- Big Bad: Uglor.
- Cartoon Crossover
- Deadpan Snarker: Space Ghost, Moleculad, and Space Ace could all deliver some grade-A snark when they wanted to. Examples:Space Ghost: Jace, how many times do I have to tell you, don't play chicken with the comets.
- In one scene, Uglor was explaining how his newest device, which manipulated gravity, made the Teen Force's bodies weigh tons.Moleculad: So much for your diet, Elektra.
- In one scene, Uglor was explaining how his newest device, which manipulated gravity, made the Teen Force's bodies weigh tons.
- Enhanced on DVD: The DVD includes a whole host of bumpers that were animated but cut out when the plans for the show shrunk by half an hour.
- Fiery Redhead: Elektra.
- Happily Married: Zandor and Tara.
- Mama Bear: Tara would go to any length to protect Dorno.
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: Elektra had to link up telepathically with Uglor once. Her view of the experience? "Yuck!"
- Papa Wolf: Don't threaten Dorno in front of Zandor.
- Team Mom: Tara.
- The Unintelligible: Gloop and Gleep, as well as the Astro-mites.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Moleculad once took on the physical appearance of an alien princess to get her out of a forced marriage to Uglor.