Western Animation: Space Sentinels
"Many centuries ago, three carefully-selected young Earthlings were transported from their native lands to my faraway world. Here they were granted astounding powers, and eternal youth, then returned to Earth, their mission to watch over the human race, helping the good in it to survive and flourish."Space Sentinels (originally named The Young Sentinels until it was renamed partway through the season) is a 1970s cartoon series made by Filmation for NBC.The story tells the tale of three heroes — Hercules, Mercury and Astrea — who have been taken out of their timestreams to a faraway world to protect mankind there. Hercules and Mercury were based on the figures from Greek & Roman mythology but Astrea was created for the series.The series was well known for being ahead of its time due to the inclusion of two Token Minority characters, forming its own Token Trio.
Space Sentinels provides examples of:
- All Your Powers Combined: Morpheus in "The Sinister Sentinel" had all three sentinel's powers - Hercules' strength, Mercury's speed and Astrea's animorphing.
- Animorphism: Astrea.
- Latex Space Suit: Mercury and Astrea's costumes.
- Robot Buddy: Mo.
- Shapeshifter Baggage
- Small Annoying Creature: Mo.
- Stock Footage: Filmation was very well known for doing this in most of its animated series.
- Super Speed: Mercury
- Super Strength: Hercules
- Token Minority
- Token Trio
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Hercules