King Arthur's Disasters (2005-2006) is a British cartoon about King Arthur but having very
little to do with actual Arthurian Legend
, it features the voices of Rik "The Young Ones
" Mayall, Matt "Little Britain
" Lucas, Phil "Saturday Night Live
" Cornwell, and Morwenna "Reeves and Mortimer" Banks. It airs on children's channel CITV
King Arthur loves Princess Guinevere, unfortunately she's a Rich Bitch
and he's a complete moron
(in fact no one in this show is very bright). His attempts to woo her (usually by being sent on some deadly Fetch Quest
by her) are aided by Merlin, a nervous wizard who tries in vain
to stop Arthur from going through with these promises. Arthur is opposed by two wayward Knights, Lancelot and Martyn and eternally cheerful but dim Robin Hood
and his ever suffering Merry Men and Women (well, Woman).
Of course even if Arthur gets the item Guinevere requested she never returns his affections
. The show is Strictly Formula
but the gags are good enough to maintain it anyway.
- Ambiguously Asian - Sir Martyn is portrayed as being a Japanese samurai. Then again, his full name is Sir Martyn the May Tin Gong which sounds Chinese.
- Phonetically at least, it sounds a lot like Sir Martyn's calling himself "Before the Sky's Bright".
- Ambiguously Gay - Robin Hood
- Robin Hood and William Tell in "The Ice Palace."
- Anachronism Stew - Played for humor; for example, in one episode King Arthur and Merlin land on the moon.
- Artistic License - Biology - In one episode, Petal's sister Tatiana shows a deep concern for her apes. Yeah, Tatiana? APES DON'T HAVE TAILS!
- Lampshaded when King Arthur states that whales aren't fish- they're mammals.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign - Arthur speaks fake Japanese to Sir Martin, much to his dismay.
- Bears Are Bad News
- Bishōnen - Lancelot.
- Butt Monkey - Arthur, Robin Hood, Lancelot, Martin, WHO ISN'T A BUTT MONKEY IN THIS SHOW?!?!
- Chew Toy - See Butt Monkey.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure - From Merlin as seen here. (Don't worry: it's safe for work.)
- Curse Cut Short: "With all his troubles in the past/King Arthur sat down on his * gets trampled by horses.* "
- Deadpan Snarker - King Arthur and Lancelot.
- The Ditz - Robin Hood.
- Estrogen Brigade - An in-universe example: Lancelot has his own little group of fangirls following him around in "Mission: Implausable" and "The Yodeling Dolphin of Kirkwall."
- Mr. Fanservice - Lancelot.
- Everything's Better with Penguins - Morris Dancing Penguins!
- Failure Is the Only Option
- Fetch Quest
- "Freaky Friday" Flip - Arthur and Guinevere in the episode "King Guinevere"
- Getting Crap Past the Radar - Lancelot's catchphrase "Oh Blow" would do the trick for American viewers.
- The scene where The French Fashion Designer lifts up Merlin's robe may count, but it's done in a silly non-sexual way.....
- A more firmer example would be in the final episode where right after Lancelot flirts with Lady M. Martyn says "We're here to marry Princess Guinevere" to which Lancelot replies "Yes, but it wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan." Hmmmmm.....
- Gonk - Petal, Lady Griselda and one time character Rachel. Morgan Le Fay certainly counts. Also the old lady seen flirting with Lancelot at the beginning of "The Yodeling Dolphin of Kirkwall."
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have - wizard spa worker Wanda (Safe For Work)
- Harmless Villain - Lancelot, Martyn and Robin Hood.
- Having a Gay Old Time - "Oh Blow!" That is all.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: King Arthur is Drop Dead Fred, Merlin is Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, Guinevere is Mama Pig and Lancelot, Splag and Robin Hood are Murdoc Niccals of Gorillaz. Mmmmmmm.......Motorola.
- Inept Mage - Merlin.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Robin Hood's voice is Phil Cornwell doing his best Tony Blackburn.
- No Fourth Wall- "Great. I'm a cartoon bear!"
- No Export for You - Kinda subverted as anyone can order the DVDs (as long as you have an all regions DVD player), but as of now, it has been aired only in England, Australia, France, Mexico, Portugal, Poland, Italy, and Spain, thus contributing to its lack of love.
- Odango Hair - Countess Griselda sports one.
- Only Sane Man: Merlin, not that Merlin is particularly sane. He's just more sensible than everyone else.
- Rich Bitch: Guinevere.
- Secret Identity - 'Sir Margaret', the most capable knight (indeed most capable character generally) is clearly really Lady M, Arthur's sister. Naturally, no one ever realises this.
- Shout-Out - More than a few. Not least of which, a Donkey seller dressed like Super Mario selling a Donkey named Kong. Rik Mayall actually did a couple of adverts for Nintendo back in the Snes era.
- Strictly Formula
- Thick-Line Animation - In fact, to some extent it feels like a Butch Hartman show (if he'd been British).
- The Unintelligible - Splag
- Unusual Euphemism - Lancelot's catchphrase "Oh Blow!" But Americans most likely see this as something else....
- Upperclass Twit - Guinevere
- William Telling - King Arthur becomes the target for one of these in "The Ice Palace". He has to stand with an apple on his head and be shot at in turn by Robin Hood, William Tell and Sir Maragaret.