DC Showcase: Jonah Hex is a 2010 short animated film, directed by Joaquim Dos Santos and written by noted Western comics writer Joe R. Lansdale, featuring Thomas Jane as disfigured bounty hunter Jonah Hex on the trail of a ruthless brothel madame who has murdered his latest quarry. The film, which was released on July 27, 2010 as a bonus feature on the Batman: Under the Red Hood DVD, was the second of the DC Showcase series and was included on the compilation DVD DC Showcase Original Shorts Collection in an extended version.
This short contains examples of:
- An Axe to Grind: One of Lorraine's mook use an axe for combat.
- Beware the Nice Ones: That nervous bartender pulls out a shotgun to blast at Hex after he takes out Lorraine's men, suggesting that he was working with her.
- Bounty Hunter: Jonah Hex, as always. Just so happens that Madam Lorraine killed his latest quarry before he could get to him.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Lorraine seems to take every opportunity to use her sweet side just to try to kill Jonah. In one instance, she even literally tries to stab him in the back.
- Combat Pragmatist: Jonah, naturally.
- Deadpan Snarker: Jonah.
- Famed In-Story: Jonah is recognized as he rides into town.
- Fanservice: Hookers in skimpy clothing abound.
- The Gunfighter Wannabe: The kid who recognizes Jonah tries to brag of his feats, but Jonah just says "Who gives a damn?" This ticks the kid off, who tries to draw his gun but gets knocked out in one punch.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: The bar girl.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: They don't interact but the Saloon Girl and Madame Lorraine. They are also Color-Coded for Your Convenience with the blonde Saloon Girl wearing light blue and the brunette Lorraine wearing red and black.
- Nice Hat: As always, Jonah Hex sports his trademark cowboy hat
- Ready for Lovemaking: Madam Lorraine adopts this pose while attempting to seduce Jonah (so she can kill him).
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Trying to kill your enemy at every opportunity? Not entirely smart, but understandable. Trying to kill him while in a small enclosed space that he could easily leave you in if he so chose? Not so much.
- The Vamp: Madame Lorraine.
- Would Hit a Girl: Jonah with Madame Lorraine. Considering she's a murderer who uses her feminine wiles to her advantage (i.e. distract men so she can kill them), this is understandable.Madame Lorraine: You wouldn't hit a lady?
Jonah Hex: You ain't no lady. *SMACK!*
Madame Lorraine: You hit me!
Jonah Hex: Hard as I could.