Good show, Passepartout!
Around The World In Eighty Days is an Australian 16 episode cartoon show produced in 1972 and a loose adaptation
of Jules Verne's novel of the same name.
Phileas Fogg wants to marry the lovely Belinda Maze, niece to the unscrupulous Lord Maze. Maze makes a wager with Fogg that if Fogg can go around the world in eighty days, he may marry Belinda (with £50,000 thrown in as a sweetener - "It's a bet!"). Fogg, along with his companion Passepartout and his pet monkey Toto, sets out to do so. Lord Maze, seeking to win the bet, sends a hired thug named Fix to prevent Fogg from reaching his goal.
Notable for being the first Australian cartoon shown on U.S. network TV.
Compare with its Spiritual Successor
, Around the World with Willy Fog
Tropes in this series include:
- Adaptational Villainy: In the original novel, Fix was a Scotland Yard detective who pursued Fogg out of suspicion that he was a bank robber. Here, he's Lord Maze's hired thug.
- Adaptation Decay: The series has very little to do with the original novel aside from basic concept and a few character names. For starters, Belinda Maze is entirely a creation of the cartoon; in the novel, Fogg is traveling solely to win a wager, and he finds love with an Indian woman along the way.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Lord Maze. He'll do anything to keep Fogg from winning the bet. That's why he got Fix to handle the job.
- Bag of Holding: Passepartout uses this to carry whatever items Fogg asks for in a particular episode.
- Canon Foreigner: Belinda Maze and her uncle Lord Maze.
- Catch Phrase: Passepartout: "Parlez vous!" and "Fix Tricks! FIX TRICKS!"
- Fix: "I'LL FIX THAT FOGG!"
- Chekhov's Armoury: Once an Episode, Fogg will ask from Passepartout for all the items they will need to overcome the problems on that episode.
- Clock King: Fogg knows what they will need in the future!
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Passepartout's pet monkey Toto.
- Expository Theme Tune: Around the World in Eighty Days, Passepartout. So Fogg may marry Belinda Maze, Passepartout. Fogg may fail because of Fix, unless Fogg nixes Fix's tricks, Around the World with Passepartout.
- Master of Disguise: Fix.
- Proper Lady: Belinda.
- Road Sign Reversal: Fix does this in the first episode to keep Fogg and Passepartout from reaching Buckingham Palace.
- Talking to Themself: "Have you got a plan, Mr. Fix?" "Have I got a plan, Mr. Fix? Have I got a plan?"
Good show, Passepartout!