Web Video: Evangelion Abridged
Evangelion Abridged is an Abridged Series
of the critically acclaimed and memetically confusing anime Neon Genesis Evangelion
. No, not THAT one
The series often takes potshots at the source material and its fanbase. It is most notable for referring to this wiki
Episodes can be found on YouTube, here
Episodes of this series provide examples of:
- Applied Phlebotinum: The AT Field. Lampshaded by Gendo.
Gendo: It's called a plot device.
Fuyutsuki: You mean the AT Field.
Gendo: What, it has a name now?
- The Abridged Series
- Accidental Misnaming: In episode 1, Gendo mistakes Shinji for Naota, then Simon.
- Berserk Button: See Butt Monkey
- Big Book of War: Given a Shout-Out when Ritsuko happens upon Misato agonizing over stacks of paperwork and quips: "So, how's the Big Book of War, Zapp?"
- Butt Monkey: Rei and Misato refer to Shinji as this. He'll show them he isn't one.
- Catchphrase: "OH GOD WHY?!"
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Misato has her moments:
"Pen-Pen could totally cause the apocalypse..."
Misato: Can we go to the zoo? ^_^
Ritsuko: No. And no to the next one!
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Lampshaded by Gendo:
Aoba: Another cross attack!? Why!?
Maya: Because it's... deep?
- Deadpan Snarker: Pretty much everyone, especially Gendo.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud??: Gendo's an evil bastard and he loves it. Good thing he doesn't know whether he's thinking or talking.
- Did You Actually Believe?: Misato laughs at Shinji for believing that Second Impact was caused by a meteor.
- Fanservice: Episode 2 has a counter for this. It features Nono.
- Foreshadowing: Regarding Toji's death, Episode 9:
Toji: You know, we been getting a lot of screen time lately.
Kensuke: Yeah. Usually that only happens when someone's about to die.
Toji: So Aida, when's the funeral?
- Also, when Shinji wakes up in the hospital, and Rei is there:
Shinji: Ayanami? Have you been here the whole time?
Rei: Affirmative. I have been sitting here, doing nothing, while you were resting. You should take note of that.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Excellent example of the writers having fun with this trope in Episode 7.
(Text appears on screen for exactly one second as bumper) The Next Day which is stupid if you realize that Episode 5 and 6 took place in the span of one day. yet this piece of crapisode takes 2 whole days to finis- UNPAUSE THE VIDEO! STOP READING THIS!
- Genre Savvy: Gendo notes that giant robots are useful in a mecha anime.
- Particularly against giant monsters.
- In fact, just about everyone is this, just Gendo especially. Everyone except Shinji that is.
- Insistent Terminology: They're "N2 mines," not nukes.
Misato: What's the difference?
- Intercontinuity Crossover: Episode 4 crosses over with FLCL, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, DieBuster and Black Lagoon.
- Large Ham: Shinji's Pre-Mortem One-Liner in episode 6.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: According to Asuka, Eva unit 02 is red because that makes it three times as fast as the others.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Shinji calls Asuka a Leeroy in Episode 9.
- Leet Speak: Misato suggests using Leet Speak as part of Jet Alone's current password "hope". Among the suggestions are h0p3 and |-|0p3. She then describes the guy who came up with the password as 2 Du M8 2 liV3.
- Lethal Chef: Misato killed Pen-Pen with her cooking as mentioned in episode 5.
Misato: Hey! I'm not so bad.
Shinji: Misato, don't you remember what happened to Pen-Pen?
(Cut to Pen-Pen hesitantly eating Misato's food. We then see a shot of a trumpet and a volcano erupting. Pen-Pen then falls over and "P. K. O." appears on screen)
Shinji: The funeral starts next Tuesday.
- Mistaken Identity: In Episode 8, Misato describes Asuka as having "long, red hair, a great figure and a personality you'll die from." All the boys can imagine is Yoko Littner.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Fuyutsuki's Crowning Moment of Funny at the end of episode 4:
Gendo: ...Instead we get this incomprehensible cacophony of in-studio crossovers that barely resembles a plot.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: In Episode 9, Misato combines every battle plan they have worked with thus far in order to defeat an angel. She calls it Operation Battleship With Huge Cannon Shooting Laser Knives.
- No Fourth Wall: If it is there, it's on life support.
- Nuke 'em: The government's idea to take down the Angel after aerial bombardment fails is an N2 mine, just like in the original series. Gendo calls them out on it.
- Only Sane Man: Shinji, when he's not wangsting (or being uncharacteristically Hot-Blooded), tends act like this.
Shinji: Seriously, one good leg sweep!
- Otaku: Asuka loves Mecha perhaps a little too much. Don't make a Kamen Rider reference and say it's a Mecha franchise.
- Overused Copycat Character: Rei says this about herself.
- Shout-Out: TV Tropes, most notably.
Rei (to Shinji): To be more specific, you fit so many negative tropes that they have to break your fragile mind twenty episodes earlier.
Shinji: But isn't this a twenty-six episode series?
Shinji: Uhh, I didn't like that little pause there. (At this point, the words "lol Gainaxing" flash across the screen) So wait, what do you mean by tropes?
- Temporal Paradox: Kamina pulls one off in Episode 4
Kamina:Anyone who isn't with me has to eat Nia's cooking! (Everybody in room stands and pumps their fists for Kamina)
Simon: Bro, aren't you dead by the time Nia gets here? That would cause a time para-
Kamina: Only I cause TIME PARADOXES! (punches Simon in the face)
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: The abridged episode discusses how stupid a password "hope" is for a walking nuclear bomb.
- Troperiffic: To the point of Trope Overdosed.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Vocabulary: Rei speaks mostly trope.
- Who Writes This Crap?!: Quoted word-for-word by Misato in episode 7.